Feeling better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquion

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2012
Portland, CT
It's been a cold winter, and I am really burning through the pellets. I usually get almost two months out of a ton and went through a ton in January alone. I was feeling kinda bummed until I spoke to my parents. They burned though $900 in oil during January, and they keep their house a lot colder than I keep mine. I am not feeling so bad now.

Reactions: Jacques909
This is my fifth season with our stove and this is the most I've used to this point. We normally use about 2 1/2 tons for a full season. I had 3 1/2 tons in storage to start the year, and it may not be enough to get us through. To this point, we've used about 2 tons already, and we still have a long way to go.

I agree though when I think about the fact that if I even use 4 tons, that will cost me about $800. I wouldn't make it more than a month and a half on that if I was using oil.

Look at it this way, the colder it is and the longer it stays cold, the more you're saving...

Looking for a warm up soon!

It's been a cold winter, and I am really burning through the pellets. I usually get almost two months out of a ton and went through a ton in January alone. I was feeling kinda bummed until I spoke to my parents. They burned though $900 in oil during January, and they keep their house a lot colder than I keep mine. I am not feeling so bad now.
My house that I bough 5 years ago a 1800 split level was going through 200 gallons a month. Knock on wood I'm at a 150 gallons for the year.

Feeling bad for your parents!

We just started our 4th ton, so just a bit ahead of last year at this time

My house that I bough 5 years ago a 1800 split level was going through 200 gallons a month. Knock on wood I'm at a 150 gallons for the year.
I feel your pain. My old house was built in 1857. Until I started to use alternate heating sources. I was going through $3500-$4000 a year in oil.I sold that house back in May and moved and I brought my pellet stove with me. I had my oil tank filled back in August. I recently had the tank topped off. I've gone through 29 gallons. The only reason I burned that was because I have my thermostat set to come on to boast the heat if the pellet stove can not keep up. This has been a long cold winter in the Northeast and it's not over yet. More storms are coming.

Pellet prices are going up here in the Midwest too. Checked with HD and a pellet dealer today and all are up in price and low in supply just like the propain. Glad I got in some corn. Maybe make some cornbread for breakfast. The stoves are not the only ones that like it.

Why haven't you been a good son and hooked them up with a pellet stove?;) Not sure if lifestyle or health would discount their using a pellet stove but it would be a consideration if they are home and physically able....

Why haven't you been a good son and hooked them up with a pellet stove?;) Not sure if lifestyle or health would discount their using a pellet stove but it would be a consideration if they are home and physically able....
If the stove supply is anything like the market around here, where do you get one? The better ones on CL are gone and we didn't find any within 50 mile of where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.