Felling Notch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Missed on the back cut and think the face cut could have been deeper what are your thoughts?

zap

Attachments

• 100_0351-1.jpg
    100_0351-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 654
zapny said:
Missed on the back cut and think the face cut could have been deeper what are your thoughts?

zap

should be two tears "if you will" the back cut 1 or two inchers higher than the face cut and both levels level.

your back cut is very crocked the hinge looks pretty good and face cut pretty good just work on the back cut even if you have to use a can of spray paint to make it more level.. The way I judge the face cut it should be 25-33 percent of the total tree width

Face cut can be pretty shallow, but steep and undercut the low side. Cut the back cut strait in and about inch or so higher than the face. The undercut will allow the tree to be on the ground before you close the hinge and break anything off. I've cut them good enough that I have to cut out the hinge because it still stayed after the tree is on the ground.
Lots of people I've seen will cut the back cut on a downward angle and end below the hinge. This will allow the hinge to break and run up the back cut and shoot out the back.
Hope this helps.

Addition:
Cut the tree one length above what you burn in the stove (I go about 2' up). Once the tree is cut up, lop off the last log at the length you want. This lets you work at a good level without any issues.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

should be two tears "if you will" the back cut 1 or two inchers higher than the face cut and both levels level.

back cut very crocked the hinge looks pretty good and face cut pretty good just work on the back cut even if you have to use a can of spray paint to make it more level.. The way I judge the face cut it should be 25-33 percent of the total tree width

Smokin and Chad thanks for the info, also should I have cut a little higher on the stump.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

back cut very crocked the hinge looks pretty good and face cut pretty good just work on the back cut even if you have to use a can of spray paint to make it more level.. The way I judge the face cut it should be 25-33 percent of the total tree width

Smokin and Chad thanks for the info, also should I have cut a little higher on the stump.

zap

that just depends on the stump if its nice and round I will get pretty low but if it has a lot crap going on I will go higher yours looks good on that one

use spray paint for your back cut til you get good at it and it will all come together for you quick and I like the fact your using wedges............ by leaving a couple inchs of the back cut you can get the saw out of there and just bring it down with a wedge and thats called a henge

Smokinjay,
What I was saying was leave the last cut on the stump and cut it after the tree is cleared. If you are going for firewood, who cares where you cut it, it is going to be cut to small lengths at some point. Leave one cut on the stump and cut it last. I also tend to leave those as markers if I need to drive around the site and cut them as I am leaving (don't want to get hung up or cut a tire on a stump).
Hope this helps my explaination.
Chad

chad3 said:
Smokinjay,
What I was saying was leave the last cut on the stump and cut it after the tree is cleared. If you are going for firewood, who cares where you cut it, it is going to be cut to small lengths at some point. Leave one cut on the stump and cut it last. I also tend to leave those as markers if I need to drive around the site and cut them as I am leaving (don't want to get hung up or cut a tire on a stump).
Chad

I cut in lawns so it just saves a step (when I can and thats not often) I forget about the woods part when I do one there will be a stump grinder in the near future.

chad3 said:
Smokinjay,
Chad
I do the same, well almost. I cut about 3' up. that gives me a couple stove lengths. beats bending over and lets me leave a very low and very flat stump.

I don't have too much new to add, since I agree with a lot of the previous posts. I aim the back cut for about 2 or 3 inches above the notch to leave a hinge, and this seems to control the fall bretty well. I don't really have any experience doing it any other way, but this way works. Like several others have written I make the felling cuts up at thigh level where it is easy to work. After the tree is down I take the last round or two from the stump. Then I scrape the dirt away from the base and use a plunge cut to cut the roots away from the stump below ground level. After you get all the roots cut, you can rock the stump back and forth to break off the small roots you missed with the saw and the stump will break loose.

Wood Duck said:
I don't have too much new to add, since I agree with a lot of the previous posts. I aim the back cut for about 2 or 3 inches above the notch to leave a hinge, and this seems to control the fall bretty well. I don't really have any experience doing it any other way, but this way works. Like several others have written I make the felling cuts up at thigh level where it is easy to work. After the tree is down I take the last round or two from the stump. Then I scrape the dirt away from the base and use a plunge cut to cut the roots away from the stump below ground level. After you get all the roots cut, you can rock the stump back and forth to break off the small roots you missed with the saw and the stump will break loose.

Yeah, I was kidding about the below ground cuts. I stand by the first part of the post.

chad3 said:
Smokinjay,
Chad

Chad, sometimes I will cut close to the ground but can not always get my body to that position, so will cut up sometimes at hip level and then go back and get that last cut when I can get down on my knees instead of bending. Something about being on the knees when felling a tree doesn't quite get it, so we do what is necessary at the time.

On those small trees like Zap cut is a great time to practice the felling. You can make mistakes and get away with it. A good place and time to learn. Then when you have to cut the big trees you will be all set to do it right.

zapny said:

zap

I do think the face cut should have been deeper. Or maybe I should say I try to make mine deeper than that.

I think you need to get to splitting and stacking.

zap from here it looks like a 'dutchman'...you're lucky things didn't get ugly on you.

savageactor7 said:
zap from here it looks like a 'dutchman'...you're lucky things didn't get ugly on you.

It's a ugly cut but I had the rhino hooked up to it with the winch, it needed some help so instead of cutting more the rhino did the rest.

zap

zapny said:
savageactor7 said:

It's a ugly cut but I had the rhino hooked up to it with the winch, it needed some help so instead of cutting more the rhino did the rest.

zap

with the winch and wedges just straighten the back cut and a little bigger wedge and your in the big legue just get a few more smaller ones under your belt ,and post pic's should be very interesting.. This is the same way I do it in close around houses but I just use a bull rope no winch but you should be able to drive a tack.....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
savageactor7 said:

zap

with the winch and wedges just straighten the back cut and a little bigger wedge and your in the big legue just get a few more smaller ones under your belt ,and post pic's should be very interesting.. This is the same way I do it in close around houses but I just use a bull rope no winch but you should be able to drive a tack.....

With the looks my cut I guess I'm in the same league has the BAD NEWS BEARS!

Like coach Buttermaker Said to his team, come on fellas Rome wasn't built in a day.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
savageactor7 said:

zap

With the looks my cut I guess I'm in the same league has the BAD NEWS BEARS!

Like coach Buttermaker Said to his team, come on fellas Rome wasn't built in a day.

Zap

posting that pic' you will learn faster then anything you can do just keep posting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.