Filled trailer with 7 chunks of oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Worked more on this bur oak this morning. Took 7 pieces off and ended up with a fair amount in the trailer. Tomorrow it will be split and stacked!

I think the last of this oak with all the knots I will use for the Advanced Backwoods Savage Vertical Splitting class. Note to myself, bring red milk crate. :)

Also, took a stroll on this property I'm clearing and eyed up some sugar maple, ash, more oak, apple, elm, and a bunch of medium sized thorny trees? Not sure on a few so pics will be coming for some id in the future.

Attachments

• rps20111212_153859_594.jpg
    rps20111212_153859_594.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 323
  • rps20111212_154312.jpg
    rps20111212_154312.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMAG0537.jpg
    IMAG0537.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 323
Yeah - that's a good trailer full of pie cuts! Nice job. Those suckers look heavy.

Yeah, that last of the trunk has some branch knots. Cut the rounds alittle smaller - they'll bust open.

Those splits are going to get tough for sure!

Gary_602z said:
Love it Wishlist 63 posts and you allready know about the milk crate! :lol:
Great looking load of wood also!

Gary
I was a "lurker" for a long time. Good people on this site who seem more than happy to help anybody with a question no matter how trivial.

This wood is so dang heavy, green of course, and I've been burning mostly ash and elm the seasoned wood feels comparable to basswood! Of course, as I sit in shorts and a tee shirt drinking ice tea the other nite when it was 12 degrees outside I knew better......:)

[quote author="Gary_602z" date="1323746626"]Better watch out you might get banned for being a tea drinker! :lol:

Gary[/quote

Uh oh? Better do some searches and find out why? Tks Gary! ;)

Its easy - beer.

And that wood looks just like the stuff that I have been working up this past weekend. "Heavy" is an understatement.

Jags said:
Its easy - beer.

And that wood looks just like the stuff that I have been working up this past weekend. "Heavy" is an understatement.

Agree, produce a stack cord is a very tall order.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Its easy - beer.

Agree, produce a stack cord is a very tall order.

1/2 cord and I was done. BUT it happened pretty quickly.

For sure that is some heavy stuff. Vertical splitting makes it easy and we have no red milk crates here (at least I don't think so). Most of ours are blue or wire crates. Does color make a difference? Maybe red is warmer to sit on and I wouldn't need the hot seat?

Forgot to add, those thorny trees very well may just be thorn apple. We have plenty of them here.

Backwoods Savage said:
Forgot to add, those thorny trees very well may just be thorn apple. We have plenty of them here.

Tks Dennis. The thorns are sure wicked. I looked for any signs of hedge or locust but none found. I would assume thorn Apple is a hardwood then? Part of this property at one time was a small orchard.

Yes, hardwood. Also very smelly when cut. You won't like it. The thorns are not good to have around either. Not sure how many tires I've fixed over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.