29 splits from one oak round....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am too fast to capture with a camera.;lol
I did those 29 splits the other night in around 12 minutes......the reason I know it was that fast is (a) I drank TWO Angry's while doing it (I know, I shouldn't have been while splitting) and (b) dear wifey had called me for supper, and when I don't cease and desist upon her call for supper, the chit hits the fan in a hurry!!

Phew, sweating just thinking about working with rounds like that. At that size, my level of enjoyment/fun will diminish quite a bit.

It is rewarding though.
Pen, it isn't every day that I wrestle rounds that big.......when I do them, though, my body feels it the next day! ;)

I love getting a whole cartload of splits from one round.........

You know its a big round when you need 2 guys to put it in place under the splitter,and still do even when its halved. Especially when they are cut at 18-20 " long. I hired a guy for 8 hours on my last splittin project mostly to jockey those big rounds into place,still took me 4 more the next day .

Reactions: ScotO
Stalled a 32 ton splitter several times on some o them angry oak rounds ,speschly when theres a knot in there somewhere.

HOLY CATS you guys play with BIG TOYS! :eek: !!! Damn Scotty, how much did that monster weigh??? Really great stuff-thanks for taking the time to post and lay out all those splits!

Them ain't baby kindling splits either. ;ex
Be fun to split the big ones. The stack grows fast.

29 splits/1 round a record here;?

It is until it's broken ;) ;lol
Nah i had some i think i got more than that on but i dont remember, they were like 40" diameter. But this is not really a contest as you can split as small as you like.

image 5.jpeg This trailer load is two rounds of 26 inch oak. I'm not sure how many splits but there are a lot of very large splits.

Love the big rounds that yield a dozen or so center splits:)
When I split by hand(rarely but some rounds are too damn big to maneuver by yourself) I find the wedge placed ~3in from the edge and pounded with back side of the maul will get it close to halved --if the wedge gets stuck bust a quadrant off with the maul and you're good to go - finish with hydraulics;)

Gonna have to come up with some rules.
Size minimumsTriangle splits have to be at least 6" squares 5" ? ?
Post requirements :
Pics, species & size of the round .
You have to be the one who fell & bucked the tree. (at least bucking as Mother nature might fell a big one :) )

Make it a new thread if it gets going ?
I got a 24" birch a few years back for my biggest here ever, so I'm not gonna be in the running.

Start the new topic when your ready Dave. Im in soon

That's awesome Scotty!

My 17yo and I split a half dozen rounds that size this past weekend Scotty. I wish we had counted how many splits we got from each round.

We finally finished that big oak at my dad's in Hollidaysburg that fell earlier this summer. We were saving the biggest stuff for last. This was the first time we really put the truck crane hoist on our log splitter to the test and it worked well. There was no way I was going to try to lift them without a hoist.

Here's a photo of our log lifter from earlier this summer when we were experimenting with a decent sized locust round.

image-jpg.110464

what if its just too damm big for one person to handle, Jags? YIKES!!<>

Dunno Scotty - Haven't found one yet that I couldn't deal with in one manner or another. I never let the wood win.::P

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
No need to feel insecure - after all, we are just talking about firewood.:p

Since we are all mature men here, I have this growth on my wood.......and uh:p

This oak was 27 inches across , this was one of 2 ive been working on for the past 3 weeks . The other was 24 inches across. 30 splits ranging from 4 - 6 inches 0906131847b.jpg

This oak was 27 inches across , this was one of 2 ive been working on for the past 3 weeks . The other was 24 inches across. 30 splits ranging from 4 - 6 inches
I got a few on my property like that. They are in good shape so,ill be leavin em stand.

Reactions: Ashful and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.