29 splits from one oak round....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to feel insecure - after all, we are just talking about firewood.:p
I dont like to cut wood from my own property. I only have an acre with some bigass oaks (30" base) i guess im selfish,i want to burn "other peoples wood"

I've been splitting that chestnut oak the past two evenings, and got to the stump of the one trunk....so I had a little fun and documented how many decent sized splits I could get out of it (a couple Angry Orchard Ginger Apple Ales in the process!);)

View attachment 110489

rolled that heavy SOB over to the splitter (notice I'm splitting Backwoods Savage-style, no milk crate though, because with these big rounds, the seat just gets in the way!)

View attachment 110492 View attachment 110493

busted off one third of the round.....then the second third...

View attachment 110494 View attachment 110495

threw all of the splits over in a pile to be counted and....ended up with 29 splits...enough to heat the house for several days in one single round!! I love those big rounds!!

View attachment 110496 View attachment 110497

and ran into TONS of these knots and crotches in the trunk.....just another reason I love those hydraulics!!

View attachment 110498 View attachment 110499

Nice Scotty!!!

If I lived out your way, I'd be drinking Yuengling non stop.

Reactions: ScotO
This oak was 27 inches across , this was one of 2 ive been working on for the past 3 weeks . The other was 24 inches across. 30 splits ranging from 4 - 6 inches View attachment 110704

Both my wife and I see either a fish trying to grow horns or perhaps a devil cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.