Filter for Shop Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Watch the filter when using an air hose.
I was warned that you could blow a hole through the filter with air.Not as bad on a vacuum filter as a engine filter.
I just blow it out with the vacuum hose attached to the vacuum's outlet. Not as concentrated as an air compressor, so it'd be tough to blow a hole in it, and I don't have to get the air compressor out. That, and I don't have an air compressor... .

I also discovered that this "blower" come in real handy when cleaning sawdust off my chop saw and for sweeping the mess off my porches after doing wood work.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I probably got six or more years usage from my filter. The cartridge filters are not as robust as auto engine filters but they really can take a beating. I use an all thread electrical lamp extension 10-12 inches with the end peened over. On the peened end, I drilled a hole out of the pipe at 90*. This extension is the same diameter and thread pitch as my blow gun. I use this device to clean the household vacuum cartridges, the shop vac cartridge, my tractor filters, and some finned devices that require a 90* approach. I also put some tape on the peened end to protect the inside of the element from scratches/damage. I can get many years out of a filter before needing to worry about blowing a hole in the element when back-blown in this manner. My air compressor is a 90 psi max residential unit.

https://www.maxwarehouse.com/produc...MI49DTxc2i1gIVArXACh0kjQsJEAYYAyABEgLFY_D_BwE

Reactions: Fuut Master
I use the disposable bags in mine. I think they are only made for the larger units though. I can tell you that they make all the difference in the world. My pleated paper filter (the one they all have) would get clogged up minutes after I cleaned them.

After I started using the bags I've never had to clean a pleated filter again. You get full suction all the time and the dust stays in the vac. Yes I have vacuumed ashes from the stove and they stay in the vac too. When full you remove the bag full of filth and toss it inna trash without having to deal with the atomic mushroom cloud of dust either.
Ive used these filters sometimes as a prefilter when they filt. I have also used a course foam pad as a prefilter to increase the useable time I can vacuum. This is especially true with masonry dust.

Reactions: Fuut Master