Finally, a score worth mentioning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggyspapa

Nov 26, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
The third of the summer/fall off CL, but the only one worth mentioning. Three oaks, a birch, a maple, all for 1/2 cord seasoned wood, which I have to spare this year. Previous ones were a maple trunk 15' by 35" that was okay, but not really a test, and an ill-considered box elder that I truly regret. 36" diameter of twisted, wet hell. I was bored and maybe a little desperate. Another small maple that I took down for a friend.

Anyway, this lovely pile is probably pushing 4 cords, about 8 miles from the house. The twin oak trunks about 25", straight and tall they were. Mostly cut into 4' lengths by the tree service that took them down. The owner wanted something in trade to burn in the early 70's stove left in the house by the previous owner (looks almost home made, and dangerous) in case of power outages.

Some of the bigger logs are pushing 400 lbs, 'cause it's all I can do to get them up to edge of the tailgate and push them on. The T100 is on its last mission. Picked it up cheap this summer with a valid inspection, but somebody had to be fibbin' about its last one, 'cause it goes and stops, but steers all over the place. Fine, just going to donate it when the snow falls. The 2wd and various fluid leaks just won't be pretty in the snow this winter.

So far, 9 loads dragged home. Hoping to get the last by the weekend, although some heavy rain is expected. Then it C/S/S all fall! Looking forward to it.

Attachments

• Load of logs.16.jpg
    Load of logs.16.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 149
  • The whole shebang.28.jpg
    The whole shebang.28.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Loaded for everything.20.jpg
    Loaded for everything.20.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 156
  • Load of rounds.58.jpg
    Load of rounds.58.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 149
Free wood is the best. Happy splitting.

Nice scrounge.

zap

Great score Bpapa, good things come to those that wait.

Seems like a fair trade . . . you got more wood and have to process it and the home owner got less wood, but it's ready to go.

Nice deal. I see quarters and a fiskars in the t100. Did you whack them into quarters or noodle them?

I was devastated yesterday. Went to my local recycle center where they pile up freshly cut rounds for residents to take all they want nad they pushed them over the bank and buried them. It appears no one except me around here wants FREE cut up trees for wood stoves. A lot of nice hardwood is now creating compost.

nice score.

preparation meets opportunity

Reactions: Thistle
I was devastated yesterday. Went to my local recycle center where they pile up freshly cut rounds for residents to take all they want nad they pushed them over the bank and buried them. It appears no one except me around here wants FREE cut up trees for wood stoves. A lot of nice hardwood is now creating compost.

Sad but that happens all over the place.

cygnus: the only thing I have noodled in a while is that ugly boxelder. man, why did I think that was even worth looking at? If any other wood doesn't show signs of giving in after half a dozen whacks with the fiskars, it's time to break out the 12 pounder and the wedges. Heh, crotches are a challenge I look forward to. (Did I really say that?)

I sincerely doubt the (previous) owner will ever burn that wood, which sort of bothers me, but almost a winter's worth of oak is probably worth some red maple, yellow birch and oak cut too short. So, I let it go.

I am still trying to contact that tree guy to see if I can follow him around.

Finished moving it tonight. 11 1/2 loads. Tried to get the 1/2 on the truck, but the truck has oversized tires on it and the wheel well was resting on the tire. I was annoyed to have to unload and go back again, but I wasn't about to do this in the rain tomorrow and Saturday. Got my chains sharpened up and ready for the Sunday bucking. And followed A.C. or Thistle's link and bought one of those fancy Austrian twisted wedges in anticipation. I'll post some pics and a review when it gets here. Mostly it is for that stupid boxelder. Every time I look at it (in the way of everything) I want to hit myself with the blunt end of the X27.

11-1/2 loads
Will be interesting how many cords of CSS you end up with.
Good job.
Rest the sore muscles a day then get after it when it dries up.
Looks like a fin pile of logs to work on.

Couple of more pics with everything home. Well, the last load is still in the back of the truck, but you get the idea. Got through the day yesterday feeling like I'd been beaten with an axe handle, was sound asleep by 8:30. Gonna hide inside today while things dry up a bit, rest the bones.
Rounds.jpgPile from east.jpgPile from west.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice score buggyspapa. Good work done. Gotta love the free stuff. I have to start looking for some for next year. I am getting my wood put away for the winter on my days off and as soon as I am done I have to get next years retrieved and stacked. Hoping to cut half of it and buy and scrounge half of it. Those trucks are still worth some money because they run so well. Hopefully someone will be able to fix it up a little mechanically and it will make them a good truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.