1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally Cleaned My Glass

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lumberjack, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    After installing my stove, I realized my glass was very dirty! I tried the paper towel, water and ash method....worked great. I usually never clean the glass >>

Now I can see the flames dance.

20121111_174740.jpg 20121111_180953_1.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I didn't think much of the idea of using the ash, but tried it anyhow....never gonna pay for that cleaning stuff again, I've got plenty of ash....works great
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    If your wood is good and temps are good you may not even need the ash . . . I now just use a damp sheet of balled up newspaper.
  4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    I think I could have gotten away with just that. I didn't use much ash at all. Since it gets dirty slowly, I never realized how nice clean glass is.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's an unusual upper surround vent. Did you have this custom made?

PS: can you add your PE stove info to your signature line?
  6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    OK sig updated!:cool:

The surrounds is a factory oversided PE model. I added the hole pattern. It seemed to me that the stove was throwing better heat prior to installing the surround. I didn't like how it looked without the surround, so I added holes to allow some air movement through it. Not convinced that it really works but its done. They are sized such that from a distance you can't really see through it.

To make it I printed out the pattern on a large format printer and then center punched all the holes and drilled them. Took a little while.