1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally, conclusive photographic evidence that fearless creatures inhabit the forest!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by quads, Mar 6, 2011.

1. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    As I move around the woods from day to day, the deer follow me almost like cattle. Often I will be running the saw, thinking that I am alone, when I look up to see a whole herd of eyes watching me. I will cut a tree down, cut it up, split it, toss the splits in a pile, then load some of it up on the trailer and take it to the house. In the 20 minutes that I am gone, the deer swarm my work area. Here are a few pictures of yesterday's 'visitation'. The firewood in the pictures was just cut and split an hour before. I left to haul a load of it up to the house, and as happens all the time, this is what I saw when I returned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. davmor

davmor Member

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Nice pictures and good company out in the woods. Dave.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Cool! They will, in some places, come to the sound of chainsaws because they'll get to eat small leaves from tree tops.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Reminds me of this past week. For 3 days we had deer bedded close to the house. We could see them very easy. Between the house and the deer are my wife's bird feeders (4) plus a bird bath which she puts water in every day so the birds can get a drink. The deer just lay there and watch her. They do the same thing in the summer in back when she goes to pick raspberries. They will lay quite close to her and just watch. Not sure if she has named them but she does talk to them.
  5. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    When I used to do wildlife surveys, they would sometimes
    a. follow me
    b. get in my way when I was trying to hike and move more slowly than I wanted. I would yell and run at them and they would just keep shuffling along.
    c. Come up and bug me at night when I was trying to sleep. Come right up and sniff at me in my bag. More than one night a bucksnort right above my head woke me from a dead sleep scaring the hell out of me.
  6. wood spliter

wood spliter New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Great pictures Quads! They will also eat any grubs or borers they might find.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This dude was watching me today as we cleared out the garden. It was very close and didn't seem at all concerned by our proximity. Seemed to be asking, what's for dinner?

Attached Files:

8. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    They're pretty tame all year, except for about a month after deer season. In the Spring I can ride right up to the fawns, shut the ATV off, and talk to them for awhile. Here is one of my favorite pics from last Spring. These guys were no more than 25 feet away, playing and biting each other while I sat on my ATV and snapped pics of them. I then started it up, rode to the other side of the woods, came back, and they were still there:
    [​IMG]
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    the deer here run far away at sight or smell

only nosy critter I come across out in the woods are chickadees
  10. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Guess I'm the only one who thought we'd have a clear pic of quads.
    The mysterious man of the forest remains elusive. :lol:
    Nice pics of the fawns.
    I come up on some in the back field every once in a while. Sometimes they'll turn and stare at me for a minute, other times, they'll turn tail and bounce off into the woods.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Great pictures, great stories quad. You are blessed.

I have a theory. Those of us who are on farms, especially like quads. who work with cattle, the deer seem to be less afraid. Perhaps it is how we react when the deer are near. Just an observation.
  12. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    You could be right Dennis. The neighbors come up from the city and they wonder why they hardly ever see any deer. And then during deer season, they sneak around, pee in a bottle, etc. etc. I go clanging through the woods with my load of wood and ATV and the deer come running TOWARDS me! HAHA!

billb3, chickadees are my favorite bird (and yes, they follow me around too!)
  13. Hardrockmaple

Hardrockmaple Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Some are very curious.

[​IMG]
  14. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Awesome shot hardrockmaple! Just like our deer they like to come right up to the windows.
  15. Mt Ski Bum

Mt Ski Bum Member

Loc:
    Big Sky, Montana
    haha... that's awesome! Deer around here love our bird feeders in the winter, but are much more easily spooked...
  16. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    WOW! Really cool! I used to feed shelled corn to the deer in the backyard by the bird feeders, but now that is illegal in Wisconsin. The turkeys liked it too.
  17. Boozie

Boozie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW IN
    Couldn't you say you were feeding the squirrels or the birds?
  18. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Yes, but, when the feeder is on the ground and filled with corn, the wardens get suspicious....
  19. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Aw shucks, Quads, just tell the Warden there's a group of Senior Citizens squirrels inhabiting your woods and you just hate to see them oldies have to climb for their food. :)
  20. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    These 2 have been hanging around on top of the wood pile all morning. Looks like I wiggled when I should have jiggled on the duchess.

Attached Files:

21. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am not pro or con, but the theory is that feeding deer in groups helps to spread CWD (chronic wasting disease). I am not taking sides, but if true, Quads is doing the right thing.
  22. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    There are important reasons they don't want you feeding certain critters. Please take them seriously.
  23. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    That's right . . . my wife started feeding me regularly way back when on our Must See NBC Thursday nights when my friends and I would get together and play Mortal Kombat and then watch Seinfeld . . . and well . . . the end result is that she is now stuck with me. ;) :)
  24. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    See- leave out food and you might end up with a fireman in your house.
  25. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Yes, it's because of the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease. Not that the deer don't 'herd up' in the winter and feed all together anyway, but that's the reasoning behind it. The price of corn nowadays, I hate to waste any on the deer. The neighbor maintains food plots for them.

Nice Mallards Blades!