Finally filled.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain man 2

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2017
S.C.Pa
I got these 2 wood racks from Hancock,MD FAA students about 2 months ago.....there was 4 cords stacked where these are now. Tossed all 4 cords out onto a pile...set these in place n still had to add 2 more cords to fill both of them...all red n rock oak...

0713182037.jpg 0713182037a.jpg 0713182038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are beautiful, simple design and proportional, great find

Reactions: mountain man 2
Oak in rack to left is 10 months old n 1/2 of the rack on right.....this will be my 2020-21 stash. May even be longer....I have 11 cords that will be ready before that.
If you have the space get 2 more of those racks so you can alternate between them every other year, then your guaranteed dry wood with no tarp fighting.

If you have the space get 2 more of those racks so you can alternate between them every other year, then your guaranteed dry wood with no tarp fighting.
My thoughts exactly....maybe next year ....gotta save some money but well worth it.
I have 4 cprds of locust,ash,mulberry,oak n elm that's ready for this fall/winter. Its under tarp n ill put up this year with dealing with them. If I get racks now...id have to throw all the wood out...set in place n restack the wood back in racks....once a year is good for me when it comes to that..lol.
Here's some pics of what I had to do to set racks....
0611181707a.jpg

0616181101.jpg

0617181358_HDR.jpg
0626181105_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
yes now I remember, your the guy with the clean rocks after all that splitting and stacking, I'm envious of that !!!!
All I do is lay down a 20x20 tarp...I have utility cart at the end of splitter n any bigger chunks of bark,junk peices,etc....I throw in there while splittin. When I'm done....ill pull tarp to middle....gather up all the junk...fold tarp back up. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. Its nice to have wood like this n no evidence how it got there..lol

Reactions: Ashful and Lone_Gun
All I do is lay down a 20x20 tarp...I have utility cart at the end of splitter n any bigger chunks of bark,junk peices,etc....I throw in there while splittin. When I'm done....ill pull tarp to middle....gather up all the junk...fold tarp back up. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. Its nice to have wood like this n no evidence how it got there..lol
i go with the split it out back, then not cut the grass for a while method :)

I like it, nice and neat! Good job mountain man.

I’m half-Dobish. I split on a part of the lawn hiding behind an old stone wall, where no one can see the mess I make. I rake the splitter swarf into the bucket of the front-end loader and dump it into the fire pit after a day’s work, but it’s not as neat as your operation.

Those are the type of racks I want to put up. I bought some old metal roofing on cl and some lumber dont have the room right now.