Finally finished a little woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BLIMP said:
Ratman said:
BLIMP said:
firefighterjake said:
BLIMP said:
suggestion for stacking= u wanna be able to access the oldest wood first

Very good advice . . . one of the reasons most of my wood is set up so that it runs back to front vs. side to side.
& 2late for the white roof!

I want to learn...
If your going to drop the white roof bomb on me BLIMP then please teach me don't tease me.
I'm old too so don't get me going...
hehehe
Thanks...
many a reason for the white roof but i'm tired of retyping= gotta write & index a blog. i can call u free 4me via googlefone . pm me your # if u want & i'll call.
My free sheets for my woodshed were white so I got the Blimp O.K. But if the free sheets would have been Black I wouldn't give a flying Blimp. What the Blimp said.

cptoneleg said:
BLIMP said:
Ratman said:
BLIMP said:
firefighterjake said:
BLIMP" date="1283895039 said:

Very good advice . . . one of the reasons most of my wood is set up so that it runs back to front vs. side to side.

I want to learn...
If your going to drop the white roof bomb on me BLIMP then please teach me don't tease me.
hehehe
Thanks...
many a reason for the white roof but i'm tired of retyping= gotta write & index a blog. i can call u free 4me via googlefone . pm me your # if u want & i'll call.
My free sheets for my woodshed were white so I got the Blimp O.K. But if the free sheets would have been Black I wouldn't give a flying Blimp. What the Blimp said.
ya but what if you'd had to buy them?

My woodshed, sadly, doesn't pass the BLIMP test, as it's roofed with dark reddish-brown asphalt shingles. A white roof on my shed would be an eyesore right next to my home...a more important factor IMO than any supposed impact of roof color on the function of a woodshed that's basically wide open to the environment. Rick

fossil said:
My woodshed, sadly, doesn't pass the BLIMP test, as it's roofed with dark reddish-brown asphalt shingles. A white roof on my shed would be an eyesore right next to my home...a more important factor IMO than any supposed impact of roof color on the function of a woodshed that's basically wide open to the environment. Rick
shudda painted all roofs white! 4green reasons

BLIMP said:
cptoneleg said:
BLIMP said:
Ratman said:
BLIMP said:
firefighterjake" date="1283896737 said:
BLIMP" date="1283895039 said:

I want to learn...
hehehe
Thanks...
ya but what if you'd had to buy them?
Would have probably purchased galvanized becaus of the price, I had looked at lowes and 8' x3' galv. were $11.00 coloured including white were $33.00 so my woodshed is intended to store seasoned wood . Not to season wood . But if allwere equal in price or choice of free I would pick WHITE.

BLIMP said:
...shudda painted all roofs white! 4green reasons

Do whatever you want with your house. If I ever see you approaching my house with a ladder, paint can and brush...you're toast. :coolsmirk:

Roof I put on the old addition has the bottom two rows of black onyx asphalt shingles from there up it's estate gray. (Looks whitish next to the black.) The black however promotes melting whenever the big solar orb is illuminating and limits/eliminates ice damming. Have seen snow on estate gray section and nothing on the black onyx at times (usually in the winter for those of you who are thinking mischieviously).
But the posted wood shed looks nice and would blend with either color roof.

fossil said:
BLIMP said:

Do whatever you want with your house. If I ever see you approaching my house with a ladder, paint can and brush...you're toast. :coolsmirk:
it aint me getting toasted, its yr roof & the future= white roof stays cooler in the sun so the asphalt dont degrade as fast,duh, the inevitably earlier replacement results in ??????

To the OP (mitchinpa) I think you did a fine job putting up a very handsome woodshed with a lot of character and functionality. I'm quite sure it's going to serve you well. I apologize for the sidetracking/hijacking of your thread which has gone far afield from its original focus. It happens, but it's never a very polite thing to do. Again...nice shed! Rick

BLIMP said:
fossil said:
BLIMP said:

it aint me getting toasted, its yr roof & the future= white roof stays cooler in the sun so the asphalt dont degrade as fast,duh, the inevitably earlier replacement results in ??????

BLIMP I didn't have to run your last anwser through my translater software.
If you keep it up I promise not to start posting in SQL or C++.
:)

Very nice shed, Mitch. I built a similar looking one this spring and it was a real fun project. Just wait until your guests and neighbors start to give you the compliments it will most surely draw. ;-)

I like the shed just as it is. A white roof on a house where ventilation is limited from being enclosed I can see a small difference in lifespan. On a shed roof with more than plenty ventilation from below I doubt he'll have to replace that roof in his lifetime. With the way the economy has been, if white roofs really made a big enough difference wouldn't they qualify as a tax credit for being so efficient? Maybe they do I never looked it up.

Blimp, I understand your theory, but people are buying 4cyl cars because they are proven to get better mpg, but I still don't see that many new white roofs. In the last 15 years I've never applied any white shingles but I have torn off quite a few. Most haven't met there rating of 30yr. If they worked that well why would the homeowner want to change the color. I firmly believe that ventilation is the key to a roofs longevity.

Thanks again for the kind words! Although the whole white roof idea is something some people may consider, on a 3 sided structure, with lots of ventilation, I cant see it making that much a difference (especially for a woodshed). The shingles are made to last 25 years, and with no one ever having to walk on them, with all the cooling from underneath, I fully expect them to last longer than that. And as fossil stated, it definitely would not look great when compared to the house, which is situated about 40 feet across from the shed. I'm not knocking your suggestion Blimp, I'm just saying for this application, and in this setting, it's not something I would have considered.

Nice shed! The front overhang looks nice, as well as functional.

ckarotka said:
I like the shed just as it is. A white roof on a house where ventilation is limited from being enclosed I can see a small difference in lifespan. On a shed roof with more than plenty ventilation from below I doubt he'll have to replace that roof in his lifetime. With the way the economy has been, if white roofs really made a big enough difference wouldn't they qualify as a tax credit for being so efficient? Maybe they do I never looked it up.

Blimp, I understand your theory, but people are buying 4cyl cars because they are proven to get better mpg, but I still don't see that many new white roofs. In the last 15 years I've never applied any white shingles but I have torn off quite a few. Most haven't met there rating of 30yr. If they worked that well why would the homeowner want to change the color. I firmly believe that ventilation is the key to a roofs longevity.
hot gets hotter than black, asphalt evaporates & if all roofs were white global warming would be curbed! & if asphalt was white all would think a roof should be white, aesthetically

BLIMP said:
ckarotka said:

hot gets hotter than black, asphalt evaporates & if all roofs were white global warming would be curbed! & if asphalt was white all would think a roof should be white, aesthetically

http://www.smartpower.org/blog/?p=1720

White is the new black

Status
Not open for further replies.