Finally getting there!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticks&Stones

Aug 27, 2016
New Jersey
I narrowed it down to buying a Blaze King Princess insert for the basement. It will be a tight fit on the height but I'm meeting the minimums on the size. The basement is unfinished. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy the Pacific Energy Summit insert for the living room which is located on the first floor. The house is a cape cod and is a two story building plus basement. I'm torn on what liner to use for the chimney. One flue is 11 1/2" inches by 7 1/2" (30' liner)and the second is 11"x 7" (22' liner). I'm really thinking of using a 6" smooth liner but I'm torn on using a 5.5" smooth pre insulated liner on both flues? I know that the inserts both recommend 6" but it might be tight as hell with the pre insulated stuff. I should also add that the chimney runs in the center of the house.

Thank You in Advance!

The best prices I received after calling around were:
Pacific Energy in all black 2895.00
Blaze King Princess in all black 2954.00
This includes tax and I managed to get free delivery to my garage as well on both.

Last edited:
Think you're making fine choices on the inserts... Good luck on getting those liners down.

I'm really thinking of using a 6" smooth liner
If you are talking about the 2ply light wall smooth liner do yourself a favor and dont get one. They are without a doubt the least durable liner on the market for wood and especially if it is going to be a tight fit the chances of kinking it and damaging it on the install are pretty high. Why not look at ovalized liners. Even a 5.5" insulated liner will be really tough to get into a 7 by 11 or even the 7.5 by 11.5. There is always the option of removing the old liners to. Have you checked with the stove manufacturers about whether or not the stoves will run on 5.5" liners?

Hi bholler, thank you for the reply. Right now there is no liner in there, it's just terra cotta inside of brick, it runs in the center of the house. The units are both rated for 6". I just assumed that if I used a 5.5" smooth liner that it would work fine because of less turbulence in the flue.
Thanks Again
Pat

it's just terra cotta inside of brick,
That is a liner

The units are both rated for 6". I just assumed that if I used a 5.5" smooth liner that it would work fine because of less turbulence in the flue.
Well you need to check with the manufactuer about that. If you need smooth wall use heavy wall liner it is very durable and it is smooth wall also. That 2 ply stuff is just junk in my opinion. And quite a few others agree.

Keep in mind that flue tiles vary greatly in size. Don't count on the 11.5x7.5 being that size all the way down. 11x7 will be your average size.

Yeah what webby said plus the fact that even just a small misalignment of a tile can easily reduce the size of the opening quite a bit.

Thank You webby and bholler. I'm guessing I should just order a 6" liner and call it a day? Is there a specific brand that I should look at? Basically I'm trying to do it right the first time.
Thanks Again!
Pat

Last edited:
I'm guessing I should just order a 6" liner and call it a day?
We are telling you that a 6" liner even bare could be a really tough fit and you don't want bare liners you want them to be insulated. And in most cases you are required to insulate by code. I would be looking at ovalized liners either preinsulated or with an insulation kit.

Considering the height of your flue I'd suggest ovalizing it. If they were short I'd be concerned with the BK drafting well enough. It should do just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.