The oil furnace has been in my house since I bought it, about 26 years ago. By all accounts this type lasts about 7 years on the average, so I guess I did OK, though it seemed like I was always fixing it. Anyway, about a year ago I installed a used Osburn gas fireplace (fake wood stove, freestanding fireplace, whatever you want to call it) and 6 months later, two wall mounted gas heaters. After a particularly intense New England winter and never running the furnace once, today I was wiring an attic exhaust fan and figured might as well hook it up to the now unused furnace power supply... long story short, I ripped it completely out. It was scary... I feel lucky my house didn't burn down, there was blackened wood surrounding it. The attic fan is functional, and the space formerly occupied by the furnace will be a broom closet, making my wife happy.