Finally!! we have ignition...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
Finally got my stove installed. so far, its working as advertised! Started right up, like the manual says...only thing that concerned me was that there was a little bit of smoke at first. But it went away, fairly quickly. The thing I don't understand is, where did it come from? if the stove is air-tight, and all...ok, could be a leaky vent pipe joint, but if thats the case, why isn't it still leaking? I did silicone all the joints. OAK is installed, too.

we'll just have to keep an eye on it. For now, I've just got the stinky paint curing smell...and that isn't really all that bad. noticeable, but not terribly offensive. I know, that'll go away in a few hours.

I'm pleased with how quiet it is. My humidifier is much louder. not anywhere near as loud as an air conditioner. I was a little apprehensive with all the folks saying that they have to turn up the tv volume a little...well, I have to turn down the tv volume, in order to hear the stove.

I have it set to room-temp mode, set to 70...its been running for about an hour and a half, and I just noticed that it turned itself down. The furnace's thermostat, which is in another room on the same floor, says: 70.

ok, lets see if I can post the pic:
stove-1.jpg

Beautious! Enjoy!

Looks good. I'm suprised it shut down given the temp. Do you have it in a small room?

Mine hasn't gone into maintenance burn mode for days.

well, it didn't "shut down"; just "turned down". I don't know if its at its lowest possible feed rate, or not. The first floor of my house is pretty much open, and its not a big house. 24x36 by the foundation. If you take that rectangle, and split it down the middle, lengthwise, the back half is the kitchen and dining area, which opens to the room where the stove is. Center stairway. the one actual "room" has 4' wide doorways, so...really open.

Oh ok... I misread your post and thought it turned itself off.

It's really cool how the feed rate will automatically adjust itself if you use Room Temp mode.

You should get a fair amount of heat rising up the stairway to your second floor.

Doug

Nice install! Bet your siked to finally get it..
Enjoy!

What a beautiful stove that is!

As far as the initial smoke is concerned, all new stoves have a light film of oil on some metal parts and all the painted surfaces inside and out will cure with the intense heat and these are what gave you the initial smoke on first burn. Some continue to have this light smoke and burned paint smell for quite a few hours, some less.

Eventually the smell and smoke outside the stove will no longer be an issue at all - unless you do have a leak of some sort. It appears and sounds like you are all set for winter.

Happy Heating!

Steve

Looks great Chuck.....just don't forget the Surge protector for that puppy...the stoves electronics don't like voltage spikes.

When you started it did you stand there with a fire extinguisher like I did???

Great stove and nice install.
You will be very pleased with the stove, I know I am.
The smoke smell will go away after you burn 6 bags or so.
We had a smoke smell also but it went away after about 6 bags.

I would have stood there w/ a fire extinguisher, if I had one. Its on my list...

and a surge protector is in the works, too.

I decided to shut it down before bed last night...wanna watch it function perfectly for a few more hours before I trust it unattended. probably not necessary.

So this morning, I decided to put a little more silicone around the appliance adapter, and make sure that was all sealed. Started it up again, and still got the smoke. I think I spotted the source, though. looks like a steady stream of actual smoke...not paint-curing by-products...coming out of the seam in the 45 degree elbow. So I glopped silicone on that, too. Won't really be able to tell if that fixed it until the next time I shut it down, and restart it, because after just a couple of minutes, the smoke goes away. makes sense, because once the fire gets going the way its supposed to, there is no smoke. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a leak.
anyway, I know a bunch of people recommend using the foil tape around the joints and seams, but since it doesn't actually "say" to do that in the manual, I figure I'll leave it off 'till the inspector signs everything off. But after that, is it ok to use the foil on top of the silicone?

here's a pic of the vent: (it was too dark by the time I posted last night to include it...)

vent-1.jpg

It looks real nice, and you will enjoy it even if fuel drops even further. A fire makes a cold day feel much better.

I just got my insert installed this year, and it took me a while before I would go to bed and leave it running. I would also turn it off when I left home. But believe me that will wear off. It is odd I never worried about the furance catching on fire and burning down the house, I think it is because you see the flames in the pellet stoves that make you think OMG that could cause a house fire.

Enjoy it it look really great.

It sounds like the installer twisted too much on the elbow. The joints in these double wall elbows are basically crimped together and if not handled/connected properly, it's not very difficult to permanently break the joint. When you connect these elbows, hold them at the joint being connected to prevent this from happening, do not use the opposite end of the elbow for leverage. Once broken, there is no resealing them...

BTW, nice looking stove and install!

well, I hope it doesn't come to that...its gonna be a biotch to get that outta there, now. not to mention, they're expensive.

and yah, that was a big nest. I'd have finished cleaning it off of there yesterday, while I had the ladder out, but it was too cold!

speaking of having the ladder out...I put the support strap up high on the outside vent. The duravent manual says to put it just above the Tee, but it wasn't doing much there. The pipe was very floppy up high without it. I wonder if the inspector is gonna want me to add one down low, as well. they don't give those support straps away, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.