Finished my hearth pad!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FrankRade

Sep 19, 2020
kentucky
So I finished my hearth pad yesterday. I decided on a caddy-corner install. It is sitting on 3 sheets of cement board with tile on top. Stove is a Encore Defiant 2550. Clearances are well beyond minimum from protected surfaces. I'm starting the pipe install tomorrow.

Attachments

• Finished my hearth pad!
    20201112_135234.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 156
    20201112_135224.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 153
    20201112_135152.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 143
I was not aware tbh. I can add on to both sides. Thanks for the info!
I also don't see the required air gap top and bottom on that shield behind the stove and it doesn't look big enough so I don't think it qualifies as a protected surface.

It has three sheets of cement board and tile. This equates to 1.5" of insulation. Based on what I read, this meets (possibly exceeds) the requirements. Was my source incorrect? As far as heat shield, that can be modified.

As far as the heat shield goes, I can modify the bottom air gap. I looked really quick and i think its 1"?
As long as the stove has the bottom heat shield the hearth pad has enough insulation it just isn't big enough.

Is the shield behind spaced off the framing an inch as well? And is it large enough? All of this is spelled out pretty well in the manual.

As long as the stove has the bottom heat shield the hearth pad has enough insulation it just isn't big enough.

Is the shield behind spaced off the framing an inch as well? And is it large enough? All of this is spelled out pretty well in the manual.

Not gonna lie, I went off YouTube videos mainly. The back size is fine, but it's not pulled off the wall 1in. So if I left it as if, I would need to widen the front (easy) and pull it forward to minimum clearance?

Not gonna lie, I went off YouTube videos mainly. The back size is fine, but it's not pulled off the wall 1in. So if I left it as if, I would need to widen the front (easy) and pull it forward to minimum clearance?
Does the stove have factory heat shields?

I think they would be. With just stove shields the corner distance would be 17"

I thought so. I'll be fine then! Thanks for walking me through this. I appreciate the assistance immensely.
Just read and follow the manual I provided

Reactions: Wood Hunter