Fire box re-hab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
Before I get the 30 in I want to clean up the brick lined fire box. The mortar(?) between the bricks in the lining is a mess in places. A water leak eroded the mortar between some bricks, and discolored other bricks. I don't have the time to do a complete re-build of the firebox. I just want to re-enforce the missing mortar and clean the brick where needed as cheaply and quickly as possible with the most attractive and most reliable outcome :)

Any input appreciated.
TIA

as far as i know, there is no mortar between the firebricks...is this a used nc-30? maybe there is ash in there that got wet? also, fyi, there should be a firebrick layout pattern in the owners manual. (just in case you take'em all out and can't remember what order they go back in)

yooperdave said:
as far as i know, there is no mortar between the firebricks...is this a used nc-30? maybe there is ash in there that got wet? also, fyi, there should be a firebrick layout pattern in the owners manual. (just in case you take'em all out and can't remember what order they go back in)

She is talking about the fireplace firebox Dave.

BrotherBart said:
yooperdave said:

She is talking about the fireplace firebox Dave.
sorry! my bad.

I believe a solution of muriatic acid and water with all the precautions will clean your brick after your pointing is completed...

Status
Not open for further replies.