1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. wlf89

wlf89 New Member

Loc:
    middle TN
    i am having trouble finding fire bricks for my king wood stove its probly around 25-30 yrs old and i am only able to find one place that sells them and they are 18 something apeice :mad: does anyone know where i can get some cheaper they are 10x4 3/4x 7/8. or is there anyway i can make me a mold and pour my own if so could someone tell me how i am pretty good at that kind of thing i just have never messed with high temp cement or anything. i seen some refractory cement would that work to make me some? thanks for the help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MeLikeUmFire

MeLikeUmFire Member

Loc:
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Try a cement products place...thats where I found mine... Cheap...they even cut them for me
  3. kettensäge

kettensäge Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. PA.
    I replaced the bricks in my insert last week. The original size is no longer available. I got 10 4 1/2 x 9's at tractor suppply for 2.99 a piece. Cut them with a brick hammer.
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    A fiber masonry blade for a circular saw also works for cutting them.

pen
  5. wlf89

wlf89 New Member

Loc:
    middle TN
    do you mean u cut one for the corner or what because the brick you bought are littler height and width.
  6. kettensäge

Loc:
    N.E. PA.
    I had to cut some both in length and width to cover the bottom of the firebox. There was no way to cover it using a pattern that didn't require cutting the new bricks.

Originally there were 6 equally sized bricks covering an 16x25 area. I now have 3 1/2 rows almost 3 bricks wide.

There is a bead of weld in the corner, between the bottom and the side wall. I cut the bricks a little short so they wouldn't rest on the weld. I figure the 1/4" gap there will fill with ash and not cause a problem.
  7. CamFan

CamFan Member

Loc:
    North East Georgia
    The brick you bought at tractor supply what was the thickness? The bricks talked about above were an odd size, I never heard of them. We have the 4 1/2x9x1 1/4. these were always called a half brick by the supplier.
  8. kettensäge

Loc:
    N.E. PA.
    4 1/2 x 9 X1 1/4"

Qty: 10

Same thickness as what I removed
  9. glenlloyd

glenlloyd Member

Loc:
    des moines, IA
    They carry them at Menards, boxed quantity of six 9x4.5" size, Vogelzang brand, $11.49 per box.