Fire keeps going out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathryn8518

Dec 23, 2014
nashville, I'm
We have been running our stove for over a month with no issues on factory settings, our stove got full of ash before we had the chance to empty it. We shut it down, cleaned everything out and restarted the stove. Now, the flame runs great when it first starts but after 10 min the flame dies down and stops almost all together. I have called the factory twice first time she changed my settings by 100 on both drafts and said it would fix it in an hour. An hour later, basement was full of smoke. Called back, they adjusted again and still same issue. We have everything caulked and STILL NO FLAME!! :( I have no idea what numbers to try and they are now closed for the holidays. Any suggestions on what to run my settings at? I run the stove at a 3.

I have actually read that feed several times, it however seems that our issue is our draft settings.mwe have done everything else. When you over the door the fire Starts right back up most of the time. I can't find anywhere that tells what varying numbers to use. The Lady had me hold down the two buttons up as well as down but none of their suggested settings have worked. I have no clue what variations to even try.

I have actually read that feed several times, it however seems that our issue is our draft settings.mwe have done everything else. When you over the door the fire Starts right back up most of the time. I can't find anywhere that tells what varying numbers to use. The Lady had me hold down the two buttons up as well as down but none of their suggested settings have worked. I have no clue what variations to even try.

Hey Kathryn,
Try starting a new thread with your stove make and model in the title of the thread and more will likely chime in to help you out. I know nothing about your particular stove but there are some here who have them.

Fire keeps going out in my new King 5502 M. This will catch more peoples eye. I have noticed it is pretty slow around here today. Some are probably busy traveling and stuff for the holidays. Good luck. Sorry to hear your having problems and the USSC techs are out.

Reactions: Kathryn8518
Don't know your stove, but it sounds like whatever is supposed to acknowledge that there is a fire isn't working. That could be a snap switch (Proof Of Fire) or thermocouple. Perhaps you disturbed some wiring or the thermocouple (if you have one) during your cleaning.
If the control doesn't see that there's a fire after, say, 10 minutes, it will shut the stove off.
Sorry, that's the best I can do for you right now.

My heat sensor (Thermistor Assembly) on the exhaust went on my stove one time and it did the
same thing your describing, it would light for a few minutes but then it would go out. I changed the
thermistor and the stove worked great.
My stove is not the same as yours but it may be Something you want to look at.

Heat Seeker sort of sounds like there is still crud in the works somewhere to me.

But it could be that the stove is responding correctly if it is in pilot mode or heat range 1 after a loss of power.

If you unplugged the stove before cleaning it and didn't remember to set the heat range back to where it was when you pulled the plug ......

Most stoves reset to heat range 1 on loss of power and start up doesn't pass control over to the burn program until it has established a fire in the stove usually at a much higher burn rate than level 1.

On my stove which has an air stream mounted proof of fire switch if the switch gets sooted up or there is a soot dam that deflects the exhaust stream away form the switch it doesn't always see the temperature it needs to close and signal POF has occurred.

Cowling mount switches (sensors) have the same issue if the area behind where the switch (sensor) is mounted is dirty.

Last edited:
It
My heat sensor (Thermistor Assembly) on the exhaust went on my stove one time and it did the
same thing your describing, it would light for a few minutes but then it would go out. I changed the
thermistor and the stove worked great.
My stove is not the same as yours but it may be Something you want to look at.
doesn't go completely out, but might just as well be I guess. Does that make a difference?

Sorry for the delay, we just got done tearing it apart from pipes to panels. Blew everything n vacuumed the rest. Just got it restarted . It usually runs good for about 10 min before it sucks up all the oxygen n dies down.. So I will be back in 15 hopefully with warm fingers,, thanks for all the suggestions... How would we tell if the thermostats bad,,, anything short of changing it out?

Jump the two wires from the t-stat at the stove end of the run as that gets rid of the wiring and the t-stat.

Make sure that the wires are actually still connected at the stove end first as you were playing in there and might have pulled one or both out of where they connect at the stove.

If the stove just burns low and doesn't go out the stove is on pilot and the t-stat is either disconnected or not calling for heat.

Reactions: Kathryn8518
We sti
Jump the two wires from the t-stat at the stove end of the run as that gets rid of the wiring and the t-stat.

Make sure that the wires are actually still connected at the stove end first as you were playing in there and might have pulled one or both out of where they connect at the stove.

If the stove just burns low and doesn't go out the stove is on pilot and the t-stat is either disconnected or not calling for heat.

We still have flame!!!!! Woohoo. If it would have been smart I would have waited to take a shower! Lol thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.