1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fire Starters for Efficient EPA Phase II Wood Stoves

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by natel, Apr 2, 2013.

1. natel

natel New Member

Is there any safety issue with using homemade fire starters made from old candles, saw dust, and egg cartons? Should you only use paraffin wax? Can some wax build up in your chimney and cause a problem with creosote?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    No problems. It is far more important that you run your stove like it should be run and use good, dry fuel. Wax will not survive the temps in the stack if you are burning hot enough.
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Many people do this and there should be no problems. One member of this forum also sells Super Cedars. You can even get some free samples if you wish. Someone else check me if I am wrong but I believe his forum name is NW_fuels.
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    To late to edit my previous post. Do a search for NWfuel. Or you can also Google Super Cedars or even do a seach on here for Super Cedars.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, its NWfuel. Thomas has a top notch product and will send out a sample upon request to forum members. His is the gold standard - the ones I make are the mud standard.;lol
    stoveguy2esw, raybonz and BrotherBart like this.
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Agreed.

I still make homemade ones because the 2 and 4 year old like helping. I use them when I start the fire. However, if I'm not home and the wife needs to do it, she goes for the super cedars as they are better than my pistachio shell / saw dust / paraffin in an egg carton blend so it's easier for her.

pen
    raybonz likes this.
  7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    If I ever get to the point where I run out of free supplies for making wax, sawdust, and egg carton fire starters I will go the Super Cedars route. As for the kind of wax to use, any wax is ok for me. Last time the kids and I did a run, we melted down all their old crayon pieces.
  8. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I had a thought not too long ago. I'm building a house and have a crap load of cedar shims for shimming door jambs and whatnot. Tried lighting one and it took pretty good. Just a match at the skinny end. Can get a good sized bundle of them for pretty cheap at any home improvement store.
  9. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Reminds me... SC has a sale going on and I need to reorder.. been 3 years.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.