1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"Fire Starters"

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mschenkel, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mschenkel

mschenkel New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Was wondering if anyone could tell me if "Fire Starters", made by Hearthmark LLC, are bad to use with a wood stove containing a catalytic converter. It states they are made of "high grade wax & sawdust". Would this "poison" the catalytic converter? I usually break each stick into thirds and use one third to start my fire.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weezer4117

weezer4117 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central In
    i have used a similar product to start my fires for years, NEVER had a problem. i think you will be fine, esp since you are only using a third of a log at a time
  3. BJ64

BJ64 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    I agree with weezer. That is the same mix for about all fire starters any more, even the Super Ceder brand. I think the big difference between brands is wood type, wood size, density, and raito between wax and wood.
  4. bmwbj

bmwbj Member

Loc:
    Ringoes NJ
    No problems with them Mark. I've been using those for years and never had an issue.

They are all burned up by the time you engage your cat.

Oh by the way, I noticed by your previous post, you had an Intrepid, not a Intrepid II, your stove
    I believe is a non cat stove.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.