Q&A Firebox for antique cast iron fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Commercial ventless fireplaces are all the wrong size and shape for my application. I have a circa 1850 mantel with its original cast iron insert. Its opening is about 16"W by 21"H with a simple grill that projects about 5" (perhaps it originally was a coal grate.) Is it possible to have a firebox fabricated of steel or cast iron? Or could I make the firebox myself using Duraock or aerated concrete?

Answer:

It is really not legal for you to manufacture your own firebox for vent-free. The units produce A LOT of heat- and unless you are careful- the walls could overheat.Sorry- but since the units are not tested or listed for this application- I cannot give you any advice on the matter.<p>
You may want to check with The Victorian Fireplace, a shop which is expert in older and smaller fireplaces. See the link below.

Link: The Victorian Fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.