Firebrick fell out...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeAfraid

Nov 29, 2016
Ohio
In big trouble here..one piece of my firebrick just fell out..I have a fire going in the box..I fished piece of brick out of the flames..I have a woodpro 2.0 stove and have had a few problems with it..we heat our home with this stove..is on our first floor..so I can't just take stove apart and work on it as it is winter here..will it hurt for me to use stove with the small piece of fire brick missing..I might be able to jiggle it back in when stove cools...its warm enough today to let fire go out..I bought this stove with no experience or real fact finding ...its not the best, I'm sure..I could replace it if necessary..but don't want to but anything else without advice..thanks for your help!

It should be ok to finish out this burn until the stove is cool enough to work on. If you need to shovel out coals, be sure that they are place in a metal container and that the container is not place on a combustible surface or on leaves in the yard.

Been heating with this stove for a year and I have learned about removing the coals and what to do with them as I have already experienced the hot coals mixed with falling leaves dilemma..I truly have learned the hard way about using this stove..I do the primary firing as my husband works outside of the home and I am stay at home..this stove was probably not the best choice for all home heating..but I just found this site so I didn't have any help until now..looking thru your threads, I can clearly see that I will be able to do much better than I did last year with making this stove work..

I am looking to replace the stove..I think I need a better and more efficient as it certainly does not bank for the promised 10 hours and I have to feed every 3..hoping someone out here can give me some recommendations for a future purchase..thanks for your help and I will let fire go out and see about brick replacement..what happens if I can't put it back in..will it damage stove if I refire..the lost piece isn't very big..4x4 inches..and the baffle (that's the bar running across, right?) is already bowed...again, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wood Pro is a low end stove that showed up on the market last year. Not much is known about it. How large an area are you trying to heat with it? A 10hr burn time from most 2 cu ft stoves may be possible, but not with much more than coals for restarting and little heat.

Englander and Drolet stoves are time proven champs in the low budget market. Critical for success in wood heating are a safe installation, dry wood and proper operation of the stove.

Last edited:
Let me tell you this, I guess if you start out with a lower end stove, buying an upgrade could only make your day better..we bought a stove because the gas company could not turn gas on for 4-6 weeks after furnace install..here in Ohio we would have frozen to death..I chose a stove from Menards and had it professionally installed..I have the triple insulated pipe and all the safety stuff installer recommended..I have the financial means in which to purchase a better stove..in fact, if I would have had some advice, I could have probably done this right the first time..I have learned by trail and error which is not always the best method when feeling with fire..the errors I have made haven't burned down our home, and in that I feel truly Blessed..I will tell you that I do burn seasoned wood and have learned about purchasing such wood..and since reading some articles on this page I have adjusted my ceiling fans and the heat seems to be moving..I hope that buy the purchase of a better recommended stove that I might some day hope to be warm..again, I thank you for your response and hope by following advice on this site that I may better my heatng situation..

Tell us about the house. How many sq ft.? How many floors? How well insulated?

Tell us about the house. How many sq ft.? How many floors? How well insulated?
I have a home built in 1901 with no insulation..2 floors..1260 sq ft of heating needed..last year I opted to try to heat upstairs..this year I closed off upstairs and it is warmer than when I tried to heat it..I have 2 ceiling fans downstairs that I now have running..the stove has a blower which I never turned on till now and it has made a big difference (please keep in mind that I have never heated with a stove and I am clueless)..I also run 2 electric heaters which have made a big difference in our being warm..but soon ohio will be faced with below 0 temps..I ran a kerosene heater in kitchen last year when 0 and below temps..I really feel that I need a better grade of stove..I can tell by reading some of the now posted reviews on my stove that my choice wasn't the best one made..and since my electric bill will be enormously high, I should cut my losses and upgrade at this time..I thought I could get by again this year by gathering information and putting it into good use..but I can clearly see that no matter how I do things, this stove doesn't have what this house needs..and while we are working on the insulation problem, it isn't going to be enough to help the current stove heat as will as it should..

Heating an uninsulated home in Ohio is quite a challenge for any stove. Clearly the best investment would be to get the home insulated. It will pay off all year round making the house much easier to heat and cool from that point on. I would get estimates for this.

As for a replacement stove, is this 1260 sq ft on the first floor only? If so, a 3 cu ft stove is what you will need. Great low cost 3.0 cu ft stoves are the Englander 30NC or Englander 50SSW02 and the Drolet Austral or Legend II or the Drolet HT2000. These brands are available online or at big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes (under the Summer's Heat brand), Menards, etc.. The Englander is made in Virginia and Drolets are made in Canada. An upgrade from the Drolet would be the Osburn brand. It's the same company but with a bit more expensive options standard.

Regardless of stove choice, fully seasoned wood is a must for best heating. Also, proper operation of the stove. Modern EPA stoves run differently than old stoves. They actually get hotter with the air closed down than with it fully open.

Status
Not open for further replies.