Fireplace adapt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MJ5 said:
Awesome -- I'm looking forward to getting setup. Yes, I'll put in the liner -- most of the stoves I'm interested in have a 6" outlet, so I stick with that? Or do I dare try the 5"? (Medium stove, single story house, well insulated). I t seems also, that all of them have top vents -- typical with epa stoves?

And I'm real happy that IF the stove fits IN the fireplace with a good blower behind it, that's acceptable.

I was concerned the fireplace itself would absorb a lot of heat and cut down on efficiency? But it is a small room and need as much floor space as possible.

One final question --

a good source for the liner?

I saw Build.com -- that looks pretty good, or maybe my local Menards?

The way to cut down heat losses up the chimney with a hearth stove is to install and insulated block off plate. But the 27" lintel height is a limiting factor for a hearth stove in your case.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Most of the rear-vented stoves are cast-iron. The Buck 261 in steel is an exception. There is also a nice hybrid, the Jotul Rangeley.

Status
Not open for further replies.