Fireplace door or screen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HollyKnoll

Jan 5, 2020
Great Falls, VA
We have a masonry fireplace with an arched opening. The lintel is a square behind the arch, in other words, the bricks form an arch in front of the lintel (hope that explains it clearly). We’re trying to figure out if we can buy and install an insert with glass doors or if it has to be a screen. We really don’t want to pay two grand for a custom door given the fact that we just made major repairs on the chimney.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 99
Are you going for heat or only ambiance? If you just want to use it as a fireplace I would just get a screen for safety and make sure the damper functions well so you can close it tight when not in use.

A set of custom doors will be expensive and offers no real heat. An insert or free standing stove offers the ability to actually heat your home and can be had for around the same price but then you have to add a liner which, unless you're handy, after installation can be close to the amount you pay for the stove/insert.

Ambience mostly. We’re not interested in a stove at all because we just had our chimney lined and insulated. It’s in great working order and so is the damper. I’m thinking the glass screen with a door is how we have to go. It’s a hard decision because the custom fit looks better. I was just hoping there was something out there that I’m not seeing.

So you don't want an insert.

I’m thinking the glass screen with a door is how we have to go.

You can get a screen for <$100. I don't see the advantage glass gives as long as the damper is shutting tight, plus it will cost much more. Burn with the screen when it suits you knowing that there's no real gain heat-wise.

I've used glass doors, albeit not custom, and they did very little to help with gain heat while burning or limit heat loss when not.

Reactions: HollyKnoll
Have you burned it much, I found our doors helped get the smoke up the chimney when closed and when left open we got more in the house. Arched doors would look really nice but a freestanding screen would be functionally about the same if you done spill much smoke.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how doors would work with that arch. I'm assuming that the lentel is at the top of the arch.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how doors would work with that arch. I'm assuming that the lentel is at the top of the arch.
Yes. Lintel is behind the arch. It’s a really hard fit for even some screens.
I came across a site that sells the mesh screens that you can hang. That may be an option just to have something to keep the embers from coming out.

At least a screen can be installed like a shower curtain on a straight rod. Clean and simple look.

Screens trap heat, so ideally you would not use one. If it was needed to prevent smoke into room, then the fireplace is not functioning well. That hearth looks sufficient to handle any embers. If you have pets or children, then a screen can be of use. How was the flue insulated? Presumably this has narrowed it, which may hurt draft (no longer is in sync with size of firebox, unless that too was altered). Having said all that, if getting a screen, a "chain mail" (brass, steel, iron) type that is suspended from a rod, that opens and shuts like a curtain looks good with that type fireplace. I don't know if made any longer, maybe would need to find a vintage one.