Fireplace Doors - XXL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I am still working on my older fireplace as far as it's future goes. I have posted on insert and also a hearth stove going into it. The last option is to leave it be a conventional fireplace. As I look for doors, it seems my opening is rather large for the normal search engines on the manufacturers web page. Any recommendations on fire place doors to fit a 34H x 50W opening?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

Typically your stove won't fill up the entire fireplace opening, and thats normal. Thats why at least most inserts will come with a surround that will cover your opening. I know my Osburn insert had the option of going up to 32"x50" surround. I'd suggest not leaving it a conventional fireplace, whatever you do. As that's just a waste of wood, they're so inefficient. I love my insert, made a huge difference, and we pretty much heat our whole house with ours.