Fireplace floor trap trouble or jackpot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoolGuyinCT

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2012
Plymouth CT
I pulled my insert to clean the venting this weekend. Mild weekend and the wife ski was at a shower & clearly I have no life. I did have a great time shining up the the liner!

Anyway, I never gave much thought to the trap door in fireplace floor, is swings up or down to open or close.

I never noticed a clean out in basement and do not have one outside (I think you know where my thoughts are going)

The door is far from a decent seal and rather "gappy." I must be pulling air from basement furnace room?

My detective cap is on...

I either am stealing make up air from oil burner or have oak path to utilize?

Ray

We have used the fireplace as trap to run tstat wires, powercords, and even lined it to use as an OAK.

Eric

Clever thoughts thanks..

I got of my rear end, and poked around the basement.

There are two steal trap doors inside at floor height, both are filled with remnants of fireplace burnings...

Into chimney block the oil furnace is vented, also into chimney block wall is an old kerosene vented stove (appears to converted to lp) I've never fired stove since I bought the house, so it's a huge paperweight.

Anyway the more I investigate I grow more suspicious of my insert install.

Status
Not open for further replies.