Fireplace flue sweating outside down my siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Geopoly

Jan 5, 2024
Vancouver
Hello

Was wondering if anyone had insight my fireplace flue exiting from the Sid did my house seems to be sweating down my vinyl siding I assume it’s leaking behind as well maybe even into the wall. What would be causing that? It’s currently -1 c outside in Vancouver bc is this normal?

Do you have any pics?
IMG_2503.jpeg

Ok, I wanted to be sure it’s not creosote dripping down. It could be water from combustion, condensation, or even water traveling down the rest of the flue system from regular weather. It’s not necessarily indicative of a problem. What are you burning, what does the rest of the system look like outside?

Could it be (rain) water leaking into a seam on the chimney pipe, and traveling down through the insulation, leaking out at the connection to the thimble?

(I had a chimney pipe (of an oil boiler) leak rain water, and silicone caulking the vertical seam of the chimney resolved it.)

It looks too clean to have been inside the flue gas tube.

Just a guess.

Ok, I wanted to be sure it’s not creosote dripping down. It could be water from combustion, condensation, or even water traveling down the rest of the flue system from regular weather. It’s not necessarily indicative of a problem. What are you burning, what does the rest of the system look like outside?
Hi

I’m burning pellets my concern is it’s dripping behind the siding and probably down the plywood thinking over time this could rot

image.jpg

Is it (even) coming from the pipe? The left most stream in the pic seems to come from a place away from the thimble.
Yes, I'd be concerned about the wall too.

The pipe is not insulated (?), and water is a combustion product - it can condense on the inside of the pipe and could leak out (if the pipe is not sealed, as I think pellet vents need to be?). I don't know much about pellet stoves though.
Would you be able to give the pipe a slight downward pitch, so that any condensation runs down to the exit?

You can see in this picture coming from pipe it’s kinda leaking from there and ft to the left and right whole area is dripping I will adjust it you are right it’s sloping towards the house I can only imagine if I remove the siding what’s going on the inside wall isn’t wet so that a bonus but hard to fully tell behind the hearth

IMG_2519.png

Reactions: stoveliker