Fireplace Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherman83

Nov 19, 2015
South Carolina
Hi, i moved into a new house and needed some help identifying what is going on with the fireplace. The previous home owner was burning wood in the fireplace but you can see in the attached picture there are pipes with holes above where the wood sits that look like gas pipes. Then on top of those pipes in between them and the chimney is a white sheet that has a slightly squishy feel to it. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the gas pipes are and what this white sheet is? Should I get it out of there so its not blocking smoke from the chimney?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Matt

Attachments

• Pic 2.pdf
    764.2 KB · Views: 134
Hi, i moved into a new house and needed some help identifying what is going on with the fireplace. The previous home owner was burning wood in the fireplace but you can see in the attached picture there are pipes with holes above where the wood sits that look like gas pipes. Then on top of those pipes in between them and the chimney is a white sheet that has a slightly squishy feel to it. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the gas pipes are and what this white sheet is? Should I get it out of there so its not blocking smoke from the chimney?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Matt
This looks like an EPA fireplace. Those tubes are for secondary combustion air supplies to the fire. The white board above the tubes is the inculation baffle and quite important. It may also be quite fragile so take care. I can't identify from this picture. Can you post another of the whole fireplace with the door closed?
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 11.33.00 AM.png

This looks like an EPA fireplace. Those tubes are for secondary combustion air supplies to the fire. The white board above the tubes is the inculation baffle and quite important. It may also be quite fragile so take care. I can't identify from this picture. Can you post another of the whole fireplace with the door closed?
View attachment 167387

Thanks begreen, attached is a picture of the whole fireplace.20151119_204757.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That definitely looks like an EPA fireplace though offhand I can't ID it. Perhaps someone else can. Did you look on the inside of the door frame for an ID tag?

Thanks wood4heat. I looked into the BIS Traditions CE, but forgot about the Ultima.

Status
Not open for further replies.