Fireplace Insert DIY Install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a wood burning insert for my factory built fireplace. My question is , is this a job I can do myself ?
What fire place is it? Most prefab fireplaces do not allow inserts to be installed in them.

Then it is a safe bet that you are not permitted to put an insert in there. But there is usually a tag on the inner frame behind the doors and screens

That is one option. Another might be to put a rear-exit freestanding stove on the hearth and vent it through a liner up the chimney.

Yes what he said

Ok the manual that covers almost all temco fireplaces starts off by saying this

Use only TEMCO manufactured components, listed under 8" Diameter Chimney System (on the prior page), when installing a TEMCO fireplace. Substituting other manufacturers' components for, or altering TEMCO parts will void the UL listing and the TEMCO warranty.

And than on page 16 it says

20. WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TO
BE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THAN
THOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACE
INSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,
HEAT CIRCULATORS). USE OF THESE ITEMS
COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD

Status
Not open for further replies.