Fireplace Insert Replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Says you can have combustion air! That's what I wanted to do at the start

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Says you can have combustion air! That's what I wanted to do at the start

What do you guys think?
The manual posted only goes up to page 8, it doesn't include the outside air option instructions. My guess is that the only way to retrofit this (if possible) would be to open up the back of the chase to get access to the outside air connection.

What about the dimensions of my opening. What replacement unit would you guys recommend?
This is not a full fireplace. It is a metal box fireplace (zero-clearance) with a brick facade. The dimensions you provided are for the facade surrounding the zero-clearance fireplace. For a freestanding stove installation what we need is the height of the actual fireplace opening from the top of the door opening to the hearth. I am guesstimating that this is about 27" but will need verification.

Last edited:
What about the dimensions of my opening. What replacement unit would you guys recommend?

I am not quite sure I follow. Are you still thinking of putting an insert in your current ZC fireplace or are you considering taking the whole fireplace out to replace it with an EPA-approved ZC fireplace?
I only have $2k-3K max to spend on this project.

Did your budget change? Once of the cheapest efficient ZC fireplaces available is the Flame Monaco. However, you will need to change your chimney which means you will be above your budget even if you do all the work yourself.

I am not quite sure I follow. Are you still thinking of putting an insert in your current ZC fireplace or are you considering taking the whole fireplace out to replace it with an EPA-approved ZC fireplace?

Did your budget change? Once of the cheapest efficient ZC fireplaces available is the Flame Monaco. However, you will need to change your chimney which means you will be above your budget even if you do all the work yourself.

This is not a full fireplace. It is a metal box fireplace (zero-clearance) with a brick facade. The dimensions you provided are for the facade surrounding the zero-clearance fireplace. For a freestanding stove installation what we need is the height of the actual fireplace opening from the top of the door opening to the hearth. I am guesstimating that this is about 27" but will need verification.

I knew what I had and I don't want a stove

1st - I would like to know how hard it would be to install a combustion air kit and the cost. Also how would it work heating my house?

2nd – What are some recommended high efficacy EPA -ZC units that would fit in my current opening. I have a little space to wiggle on my budget but I was hoping for $3k.

Thanks!

1st - I would like to know how hard it would be to install a combustion air kit and the cost. Also how would it work heating my house?

How easy would it be to open the chase in the back from the outside? Given the age of your unit, would that combustion air kit still be available?
I would guess you can maybe make your fireplace 20% to 30% efficient when supplying outside air, optimistically speaking. It am pretty certain it won't be heating 2600 sqft; maybe the room it is in plus a few adjacent ones.

2nd – What are some recommended high efficacy EPA -ZC units that would fit in my current opening. I have a little space to wiggle on my budget but I was hoping for $3k.

The budget ZC fireplace Flame Monaco retails ~$2400. Add the chimney and you are looking at $3500+ not considering any other material, removing the current fireplace, installation. etc. Plus, the Monaco has a 2.5 cu ft firebox. You will probably need something bigger.

How tall is the chimney on the current fireplace, from fireplace to the chimney cap?

As far as a replacement it will be important to know how accessible the rear of the chase is and how deep the interior of the chase is so that clearances for the replacement are honored. The Pacific Energy FP30 is 3 cu ft and around $3K. It looks like it may fit. Chimney price will depend on the height of the chimney.

Last edited:
It says right on page 1 of the instructions it is not intended to be a main heat source so i doubt you will ever get that much heat off of it regardless of whether or not you have an outside air intake

It says right on page 1 of the instructions it is not intended to be a main heat source so i doubt you will ever get that much heat off of it regardless of whether or not you have an outside air intake

Is that not in almost all manuals for ZC fireplaces, even the EPA-approved ones? May be more of a liability thing.

(However, certainly agree that the current unit will never be a "heater".)

Is that not in almost all manuals for ZC fireplaces, even the EPA-approved ones? May be more of a liability thing.
i have not seen it in any of the high efficiency epa approved ones. But i dont deal with many of them so it could be there

I don't recall seeing that caveat on major modern EPA ZC fireplaces. Their construction and venting are usually more similar to conventional wood stoves.

I don't recall seeing that caveat on major modern EPA ZC fireplaces. Their construction and venting are usually more similar to conventional wood stoves.
That is what i thought to but like i said i dont really know so i cant say for sure

Yes, I wasn't about to go thru all, but did a spot check on a few of the top models and found no warning.

I had looked before at the Flame Monaco and that was in there: "This heating unit is designed to serve as a supplementary heat source." (p. 2) Another one would be the WCT6840WS from Superior:
"IHP wood-burning fireplaces are designed for use as a supplemental heater. They are not intended for continuous use as a primary heat source."

On the other hand, the PE FP30 does not mention anything so it may not be that common.

Good to know. Not surprised to see it for the Superior. Maybe it's just the cheaper units. I looked at RSF, PE and Kozy. No mention there.

Status
Not open for further replies.