Fireplace is finished, but still haven't chosen a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Super gets phenomenal burn times as many who own them on here can attest to.
Myself, I would look at the T5 or T6.

The Super gets phenomenal burn times as many who own them on here can attest to.
Myself, I would look at the T5 or T6.
I like the look of the T5 and it was actually one of our first choices, but I'm not sure that the swing out tops would work with my setup. I don't really care for cast stoves anyway, seems like they'd be difficult to keep clean. I can just wipe a steel stove off, I might need a feather duster or something for a CI stove.
I think the reason I drifted away from the super was that it only took 18" logs. I couldn't find the inside dimensions of the super on PE's site, so I'm not sure if it will take 18" logs N/S. I do think the super is PE's best looking steel stove.

Something that is frustrating about all of the stove manufacturers, is the information that they make available for their stoves. PE is good for the most part, but they neglect to give some information on their stoves. Other manufacturers are even worse. For instance, try and find the placement of the flue opening for a Buck stove, it ain't gonna happen. Every stove maker I check out, seems to be lacking in their specs. And stove pics, perhaps someone could take a few minutes and take more than one pic of their stoves. It would be nice to see side and rear pics with blower attached. Sorry for the rant, but jeez.
I think I'm suffering from stove search fatigue.

I would agree with Hog and add, potentially (my thinking, no experience), that in an alcove/recessed situation, that a jacketed stove may work better by reducing the radiated heat into the interior firebrick of the existing fireplace > increasing effective heat output.

No matter - I think a fan is indicated in a recessed application.

Curious if others members have an opinion on the above thoughts.

In 13 years of selling Buck stoves we have never replaced a secondary tube and with the new ceraboard baffle materials the efficiency of these stoves is excellent.

Bucks are also double walled so they have massive heat exchangers and the bay models use large blowers that pressurize the plenum to provide excellent air flow.

Why would you not want a dealer to handle your warranty issues? That is what they are there for. They will usually have the part on the shelf and have seen most everything and have great advise.

Buck's literature give the hole location on back of the brochure. Also, for whatever reason they use the EPA test numbers for the output figures which are grossly underated.

In 13 years of selling Buck stoves we have never replaced a secondary tube and with the new ceraboard baffle materials the efficiency of these stoves is excellent.

Bucks are also double walled so they have massive heat exchangers and the bay models use large blowers that pressurize the plenum to provide excellent air flow.

Why would you not want a dealer to handle your warranty issues? That is what they are there for. They will usually have the part on the shelf and have seen most everything and have great advise.

I would certainly want my warranty issues handled by a dealer, if they were a dealer like you, but not all dealers are created equal, as has been witnessed on this forum. The fact that you are encouraging me to buy the product you sell, even though it doesn't benefit you at all, says that you believe in the product you sell and I couldn't ask for anything more, but my Buck dealer ain't you, and while I trust him to sell me cultured stones and blocks for my retaining wall, I'm not sure that I can trust him to sell me a stove and follow up with anything that might go wrong with it.
Pardon my run on sentence, I've had a few beers.

The model 21 looks like it might be close to what I'm looking for, but it appears to have a convective top.
I need a radiant top.

Find 3 stoves you like and narrow it down.
As for dealer support, that is as solid as the wind blows, some dealers are awesome, and some full of shat and non-existent when you have any problems.
Don't fall for the car salesmen tactics.

Have you taken a look at the Blake King Princess insert?

I did a LOT of research and ended up choosing this unit for our home. It has far exceeded any expectations we had.

Have you taken a look at the Blake King Princess insert?

I did a LOT of research and ended up choosing this unit for our home. It has far exceeded any expectations we had.

No, but I looked at the free standing Princess. I think it's a great looking stove and so does the wife. And I would love to have those burn times.
Usually, I'll take function over aesthetics, but we've got to have a few hours of viewable fire every night. I'm sure I can get some decent fires in a BK, but I doubt if I could
get them on demand. Another thing that keeps me from considering it, is that I'll have an 's' bend about 10" above my stove at between 30 and 45 degrees. My chimney is only 15'. so I didn't want to take a chance and go for it.

Strange thing is, I think you can have a bend with a Princess insert, not certain though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure it's a great stove. Seems to be built like a tank too.

Status
Not open for further replies.