Fireplace Remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyStrike

Mar 9, 2012
KY
I have been looking at many alternatives and most have not been possible for many reasons.

I have a prefab fireplace that is too small for a insert and not approved for any insert.

I have looked at completely replacing with a new fireplace, but the cost is somewhat prohibitive.

I am proposing tearing out the existing fireplace, installing a precast concrete box into the space and running new pipe up the chase.

The would give me a chamber 29" W x 27" H x 17.5" D to install something like a Napoleon 1402 or a Timberwolf 2201.

Is this an acceptable install? Possible problems?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the advice.

Some issues I see are that it is not a proper masonry fireplace and that's a lot of weight that I guess would be poorly supported without significant infrastructure improvements.

How about tearing out the current ZC and turning this space into a alcove with a freestanding stove instead of an insert? Would that be possible?

Actually the weight should not be a problem as it will be on a 6" reinforced concrete pad.

Weight of box: @1100lbs

Some issues I see are that it is not a proper masonry fireplace

I guess my question is what impact does this have?

Is 3.5 inches of air-entrained concrete fireproof? Heat proof? There would be at least 1/2 inch clearance from stove to concrete in the rear, more on the sides and top.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.