Fireplace removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PacMan715

Jan 27, 2022
Roseville, CA
I have a brick gas fireplace that I am planning to remove. The chimney is offset and external to the home. Are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of before tearing this thing down? I am planning on framing and sheetrocking the portion of the wall that this will vacate. This is a picture that I was able to snap when I had the wall open a couple years ago.

Fireplace.jpg

This is the front view. The chimney is to the left of the fireplace, outside the home.
Front view.JPG

Last edited:
The chimney could be supporting the framing. There could also be another vent built into the chimney (for another appliance).

Reactions: PacMan715
The chimney could be supporting the framing. There could also be another vent built into the chimney (for another appliance).
I am planning on leaving the chimney in place, so hoping all of that will be fine. My thoughts are that the entire chimney is outside the home on the side of the house, so the stuff inside should not be supporting anything. I have opened that wall and there is a gap between the upstairs floor joists and the brick of the fireplace. You think I am over-ambitious? I am planning on doing all of this while the wife is out of town to surprise her with a new living room. Also, I am pretty experienced in construction, I have done several remodels, moving walls, ceilings, etc.

I am planning on leaving the chimney in place, so hoping all of that will be fine. My thoughts are that the entire chimney is outside the home on the side of the house, so the stuff inside should not be supporting anything. I have opened that wall and there is a gap between the upstairs floor joists and the brick of the fireplace. You think I am over-ambitious? I am planning on doing all of this while the wife is out of town to surprise her with a new living room. Also, I am pretty experienced in construction, I have done several remodels, moving walls, ceilings, etc.
If you are just talking about removing the face and covering over it that is pretty straightforward. But anything behind the face is going to be part of the structure supporting the chimney

If you are just talking about removing the face and covering over it that is pretty straightforward. But anything behind the face is going to be part of the structure supporting the chimney
Even though the chimney is completely offset from the fireplace? (appreciate the response, I am just trying to wrap my head around this all)

Even though the chimney is completely offset from the fireplace? (appreciate the response, I am just trying to wrap my head around this all)
It would be very odd if the fireplace was completely offset

It would be very odd if the fireplace was completely offset
Here is a picture of what it looks like inside. Might be hard to tell from the angle, but my camera is pointed toward the outside wall and you can also see the venting even turns to go outside. Anyone think this should ease my fears?
42099504-44E9-44BE-960C-815025C15FB2.jpeg