Fireplace/Rock Picking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
http://wardpaving.com/index.htm

Decided that it was cheaper having Ward deliver some rocks from their pit in the 6 ton Ford (truck to the far left on the top) looks like tomorrow will be spent clearing some skinny trees in the area the fireplace is going.

The fireplace looks like it will be done before the end of August. (target date)

Zap ::-)

Attachments

• 100_5674.JPG
    100_5674.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_5675.JPG
    100_5675.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_5676.JPG
    100_5676.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 222
Thats gonna be a HUGE FIREPIT!! I thought mine was Big....

Looking forward to pics. Are you gonna "Update" this thread? Or start another for the finished product?

Gonna look awesome. I have not seen any "Bad" piece of work from you..... Excellence pours from your hands Zap. ;)

Cheesus Mad Dog, you polish your rocks after every burn. zap show us the progress. Always fun building a pit, sort of an outlet for wood or trimmings that don't cut it for the stove.:cool:

DexterDay, I'll try and remember to update this thread, my camera batteries were dead today so I'll get a pic of the work we did today, the tall skinny maple came down so the area should be ready for excavation by the middle of the week.

We will pattern it after the one my FIL built down at camp but with Scotty Overkills keyhole idea.

Defiant, I'll keep you updated with pics, I think my neighbor will come up to move the big stuff with her tractor. She won't take money so I'll cut her some firewood for next year. ::P

zap

Reactions: ScotO
DexterDay, I'll try and remember to update this thread, my camera batteries were dead today so I'll get a pic of the work we did today, the tall skinny maple came down so the area should be ready for excavation by the middle of the week.

We will pattern it after the one my FIL built down at camp but with Scotty Overkills keyhole idea.

Defiant, I'll keep you updated with pics, I think my neighbor will come up to move the big stuff with her tractor. She won't take money so I'll cut her some firewood for next year. ::P

zap

Thanks Zap.... The "Keyhole" is a nice design and I love mine.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Dex, did you put a pic up?

zap

I had a thread awhile ago. But here ya go.... (click to enlarge)

pit5.jpg pit4.jpg

Very nice Dex. I think we will go smaller than yours but with higher sides. I think we will go with a rounded (not sure how round) fireplace with the keyhole design.

How far did you dig down? I think from talking with Scotty Overkill, 12 inches deep sounds right.

zap

Very nice Dex. I think we will go smaller than yours but with higher sides. I think we will go with a rounded (not sure how round) fireplace with the keyhole design.

How far did you dig down? I think from talking with Scotty Overkill, 12 inches deep sounds right.

zap

I went about 12, then laid down 2"-3" of sand, then added the pavers. So its only around 6" deep, then add the height of the rocks and its over a foot deep again...

I should have went smaller also. But I was lookin at the painted circle I laid out and decided to go BIG or go HOME! ;)

Well, it was to big :) Its 5' in diameter with a 24" x 24" cooking area (complete with firebrick on the sides) but subtract the brick and its about 20" x 20".. Overall Im still happy.

Its obviously not as pretty now. Those pics are from the day I made it....

Like my FIL would say, lots of good memories in front of that fireplace. The best chicken I ever had my FIL cooked over his fireplace at camp, he had it down pat, when it was time for the chicken he had nothing but re hot coals from some nice beech.

It was his domain, the fireplace and a five foot radius was all his, mess with his fire and you were on the chit list, great man.

zap

This was the work done today in the area of the soon to be fireplace, we had one tall thin Cherry and about four small maples that were cleared. Tomorrow will be spent splitting then cleaning the area up.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5678.JPG
    100_5678.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_5679.JPG
    100_5679.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_5680.JPG
    100_5680.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 199
Thats gonna be a HUGE FIREPIT!! I thought mine was Big....

Looking forward to pics. Are you gonna "Update" this thread? Or start another for the finished product?

Gonna look awesome. I have not seen any "Bad" piece of work from you..... Excellence pours from your hands Zap. ;)

Progress Report, I called my neighbor down the street (Nola) she said she would be glad to bring her Kubota up and take care of moving the rocks back near the area the fireplace will go.

I'm thinking late next week or on that weekend, pictures will go up.

zap

Reactions: DexterDay
Lady with a tractor? You have a good neighbor there. I like Nola already.

Thanks for the update Zap......

I may or may not see your new thread when its done. So an update (or a link here) always helps...

You are a busy man. I have long said a little work everyday will yield Big results.

Keep it up Zap

zap at the rate you cut trees you gona be sittin on a dessert in a few years. You are a busy man

Started the stump removal tonight, the little maple stump was a pain in the ass, it took a good hour with the grub hoe. I finally cut enough of the roots so the Rhino could rip it out, another stump left then it's time to dig out where we want the fireplace. Once I get the second stump out I'll give my neighbor (Nola) with the tractor a call so she can move the big rocks back to the area the fireplace will go.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5765-001.JPG
    100_5765-001.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_5767.JPG
    100_5767.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_5768.JPG
    100_5768.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 187
zap at the rate you cut trees you gona be sittin on a dessert in a few years. You are a busy man
Never, this place is loaded with trees, the bugs will get them before me.

zap

Thanks for the update Zap......

I may or may not see your new thread when its done. So an update (or a link here) always helps...

You are a busy man. I have long said a little work everyday will yield Big results.

Keep it up Zap
How far outside your firepit or fireplace did you dig then put down sand or fine crush stone? I'm thinking this fireplace will be 3 feet deep x 3 feet wide (if not wider).

zap

How far outside your firepit or fireplace did you dig then put down sand or fine crush stone? I'm thinking this fireplace will be 3 feet deep x 3 feet wide (if not wider).

zap

I dug down about a foot, then added a few inches of sand and then pavers and placed the large rocks on the level ground above. So its still over a ft deep (from top of exterior rock to paver).

And a little R.I.P to my beloved German Shepard, Oscar... He passed away this morning? He was almost 8 and healthy as a horse? Hoping to find out Why? Why such a good dog can be taken so early. You will be missed :(
He is normally seen in most of my wood splitting/stacks pics... Always was hangin with me....

pit3.jpg pit5.jpg

Dexter, I am so sorry about your dog. It's just as devastating as loosing a relative (sometimes worse!).

Dexter, I am so sorry about your dog. It's just as devastating as loosing a relative (sometimes worse!).

Thanks Jack.. My Son was 3 when we got him...... He is almost 11 now. That was his buddy. He is taking it the hardest.

. . . And a little R.I.P to my beloved German Shepard, Oscar... He passed away this morning? He was almost 8 and healthy as a horse? Hoping to find out Why? Why such a good dog can be taken so early. You will be missed :(
He is normally seen in most of my wood splitting/stacks pics... Always was hangin with me....

]

Sorry to hear this Dexter . . .

Dex thanks for the info, very sorry to hear about your dog.

zap

We removed the second stump last night (had two helpers, 5 & 8) we made sure that most of the roots were cut before we pulled it out with the Rhino. So the pay they received for the work they did was some camping last night just behind the house in the tent.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5788.JPG
    100_5788.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_5772.JPG
    100_5772.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.