Fireplace/Rock Picking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to jack the thread, but very sorry to hear about your dog Dexter.
I'm expecting our 12 yr. old Newfie to go anytime now. Been saying that for the last 2 years though.
Progress zap, progress. I bet the kids had a blast "camping".:cool:

Dexter so sorry for your loss. Remember the good times with him. They are like family members for sure.

Reactions: DexterDay
When we built a fire pit quite a few years ago the general rule for digging down was deep enough to get beyond any ignitable dirt and roots. Kind of a variable rule dependent on local conditions.

It's so rocky here you might have enough rocks just digging out the topsoil and subsoil.

A pit can be nice when burning wood that pops and sends embers flying if it contains them.

The hole is 12 inches deep, five feet wide x five feet deep. On Sunday I plan on filling the hole with sand then during the week start on building the fireplace.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5801.JPG
    100_5801.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_5802.JPG
    100_5802.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: ScotO
Filled the hole with some sand today, looks like I level off around the fireplace this week then get my neighbor here with her Kubota to move the big rocks. If she can do it this week I'll start by the end of the week.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5803.JPG
    100_5803.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 195
Tonight was spent limbing up some dead pine branches just to make sure the Kubota will have enough room when bringing back the rocks. We had one dead pine that was in close quarters that I dropped (hung up) had the rope on it but it was not strong enough to pull it through the tops. Back to the garage for the cable and the winch which took care of the problem.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5804.JPG
    100_5804.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_5805.JPG
    100_5805.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_5806.JPG
    100_5806.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_5807.JPG
    100_5807.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_5808.JPG
    100_5808.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_5809.JPG
    100_5809.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_5810.JPG
    100_5810.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: ScotO and Eatonpcat
The first pic 5811 is the rain we had dropped on us last night, pic 5812 is the entrance for the Kubota and pic 5813 is the exit, had to cut one dead standing which was in the middle of the exit.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5811.JPG
    100_5811.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_5812.JPG
    100_5812.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_5813.JPG
    100_5813.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 175
Well my neighbor brought over the Kubota L2800, surprised the chit out of me when she said you drive:p all the rocks are back by the soon to be fireplace. The L2800 is a perfect fit for the trail I cleared, nice tractor.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5820.JPG
    100_5820.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_5821.JPG
    100_5821.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_5823.JPG
    100_5823.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_5824.JPG
    100_5824.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_5825.JPG
    100_5825.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_5826.JPG
    100_5826.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_5827.JPG
    100_5827.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 190
Damn fine lookin machine Zap... Gotta love a good neighbor :)
She offered up a grate for the fireplace along with some other stuff she has that she does not use for her outdoor fireplace. I tried to pay her but that was a no go, looks like I'll stop tomorrow at Tractor Supply for a gift card for her, she has a heart of gold.

I even offered a face cord of one year old stacked yellow birch, declined.

zap

She offered up a grate for the fireplace along with some other stuff she has that she does not use for her outdoor fireplace. I tried to pay her but that was a no go, looks like I'll stop tomorrow at Tractor Supply for a gift card for her, she has a heart of gold.

zap

Wow, that's a great neighbor. You shoulda just hauled the wood over with her tractor, stack it nice & quick & tell her you have no idea how it got there. I believe in wood fairy's, don't you?;lol

BTW nice progress on the fire place. A C

You look like an ol' pro drivin the tractor Zap. That damm thing has your name written all over it! >> May have to talk Mrs. Zappy into lettin you get one fer Christmas! ;) Did you get the rocks locally? The look like some nice river rock, I can't wait to see the firepit when it's done. Sounds like both you AND your neighbor lady have a great next door neighbor in each other........

I dug down about a foot, then added a few inches of sand and then pavers and placed the large rocks on the level ground above. So its still over a ft deep (from top of exterior rock to paver).

And a little R.I.P to my beloved German Shepard, Oscar... He passed away this morning? He was almost 8 and healthy as a horse? Hoping to find out Why? Why such a good dog can be taken so early. You will be missed :(
He is normally seen in most of my wood splitting/stacks pics... Always was hangin with me....

View attachment 71558 View attachment 71559
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I am sorry to hear about your dog Dex. That really sux...

Reactions: zap
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I am sorry to hear about your dog Dex. That really sux...

Yeah... It does. Thanks Scott. He was a damn good dog.

zap

Wow..... You are both lucky to have one another. If she burns wood, I would do as A C said, and just take the wood over there ;) The wood fairy is an amazing creature. :)

You look like an ol' pro drivin the tractor Zap. That damm thing has your name written all over it! >> May have to talk Mrs. Zappy into lettin you get one fer Christmas! ;) Did you get the rocks locally? The look like some nice river rock, I can't wait to see the firepit when it's done. Sounds like both you AND your neighbor lady have a great next door neighbor in each other........
The rocks we had delivered were from a local pit a few miles from us. I might can cutting the dead standing on Saturday just to work on the fireplace. The majority of the rocks we brought back will be used in the fireplace, only the smaller stuff will be hauled away.

zap

Yeah... It does. Thanks Scott. He was a damn good dog.

Wow..... You are both lucky to have one another. If she burns wood, I would do as A C said, and just take the wood over there ;) The wood fairy is an amazing creature. :)
We will do something with the wood, I see when she is leaving next. :cool:

zap

Reactions: Defiant
Maybe a tractor down the road, Mrs. Zappy needs a newer vehicle first.

zap

Wow, that's a great neighbor. You shoulda just hauled the wood over with her tractor, stack it nice & quick & tell her you have no idea how it got there. I believe in wood fairy's, don't you?;lol Yes!

BTW nice progress on the fire place. A C
Thanks A C, I hope by the end of the day Sunday we will have a chit load done, That's when you will see the next pictures, we also decided to go without the keyhole design at first.

The fireplace design is after the one my FIL built down at camp, we might use the same setup for cooking.

zap

For being on the smaller side that little 'bota has an impressive lift capacity. Nice machine. Keep posting Zap - I keep getting more ideas for a pit at the river.

Jags, the best part was I had two ladies giving me orders, the best one was when they told me I had to stay on the Kubota. I did throw a few rocks on but not many.

When my wife was giving me orders (her father ran heavy equipment building a chit load of roads in NYS) and my neighbor who brought up her Kubota was giving me orders....they both looked at each other (thought for a bit we might have a fight) then they laughed....my wife continued giving the orders after that....my neighbor did tell me to stop operating it like a girl! ;em

zap

Reactions: ScotO and DexterDay
I brought down the gift card from Tractor Supply to my neighbor who brought the Kubota up, it made her mad. I knew better (she is old school) if she can't help someone just to help she won't do it.

I left it on her truck seat, I expect to see her this weekend when she brings it back.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.