Fireplace won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 19, 2022
United States
I have a video of before I took the fireplace logs out and after. Unfortunately the one with the logs in I had my phone the wrong way or something lol. Sorry about that!

Google Photos Album - Fireplace Woes

The fireplace will sometimes stay lit for a bit (maybe 5 minutes) and then go out for a bit. It comes and goes. I'm not quite sure what to do with it at this point. I can't tell why it keeps going out, but it has been like this the last 2 years now. This year I want to fix it :) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have a video of before I took the fireplace logs out and after. Unfortunately the one with the logs in I had my phone the wrong way or something lol. Sorry about that!

The fireplace will sometimes stay lit for a bit (maybe 5 minutes) and then go out for a bit. It comes and goes. I'm not quite sure what to do with it at this point. I can't tell why it keeps going out, but it has been like this the last 2 years now. This year I want to fix it :) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
It looks as if you are getting erratic power to the ignitor. When the proper voltage is delivered to the ignition module, the ignitor sparks and gas is released through the pilot. Once the pilot lights and heats the sensor rod, the gas is released to the main burner. You may have a bad power supply (3 or 6 volt transformer plug) , or a bad ground.

Reactions: DAKSY
I added some pictures to the Google Photo Album. I don't see where the ground is.

The batteries should not be installed in the battery tray. That is for back up in case of a power outage.
That could be your problem. The ground wire is the black wire coming out of the sheathed wiring harness that is screwed to the upper center of the valve bracket.

The batteries should not be installed in the battery tray. That is for back up in case of a power outage.
That could be your problem. The ground wire is the black wire coming out of the sheathed wiring harness that is screwed to the upper center of the valve bracket.

I did take the batteries out - no change. They were installed like that initially too :(

For the black wire, it looks like it is a ground between the fan control and that other module (whatever it is called) and tied to ground on the bracket. With that, I unscrewed it, cleaned it up, and screwed it back in place. It seemed to work better, there was some clicking in the beginning the same way it was clicking in the original video. (is that clicking the ignite? sounds similar to a grill or furnace during ignition). Regardless, it has stayed lit even after the initial clicking and flickering. It never went out, just looked like it might for a second. It ran solid for about 10 minutes - at least 5 of that with the fan kicking in. After this, I shut it off and let it cool down (wouldn't start while super hot right after). On restart, it fired up every time.

I think this is a successful fix, but will monitor. Thank you so much for the help.

Reactions: Lennox65