FireplaceX air draw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carlv123

Feb 17, 2015
Asheville nc
Where does the Fireplacex hybridfyre draw the air from? Mine seems like it's starved but I cant find anywhere where it could be blocked.

Thanks

Why do you think it's air starved? Most commonly this turns out to be wood that is not fully seasoned.

Hickory and oak need a couple years to season well. And this year a lot of folks in the east are noticing their wood did not season as well due to the unseasonably wet summer.

That said, tell us more about the installation. Does the insert have a full 6" liner? How tall is this liner?

The wood is 3 year old oak, that when I split it, measures around 16% on the moisture meter. The liner is a full 6" at about 30 ft.

The reason I question the air is when I reload the insert, if I don't leave a lot of air gaps the fire dies right down. This makes for a real pain trying to get a long burn because I cant get enough wood in there. I can't get better than 4 hours burn time because I can't load it all the way.

The wood is 3 year old oak, that when I split it, measures around 16% on the moisture meter. The liner is a full 6" at about 30 ft.

The reason I question the air is when I reload the insert, if I don't leave a lot of air gaps the fire dies right down. This makes for a real pain trying to get a long burn because I cant get enough wood in there. I can't get better than 4 hours burn time because I can't load it all the way.
You are positive you are using the moisture meter properly? The one Lopi supplies can be hard to use. It has a high and low range. 3 years should be dry, but not always.

It's not the Lopi one. I borrowed one from a friend who does wood work and he said its been spot on. I will grab a split, split it once again and take the reading. 18-22% all day.

Take the face plate off of it and take a look. It’s basically a piece of metal that slides back and forth covering a hole, or exposing more of a hole to allow more air in. It’s possible a mouse could build a nest blocking the air, I’ve never even heard of it happening. It’s a possibility I guess. It’s almost alway the wood, or the screen in the cap is clogged up.

While your at it, make sure the face of the cat is clean too.

Is the front the only place it draws air? How do the secondary tubes get air? Thats when it chokes out.
All the air is drawn in from the same place, as you reduce the air with the control, it’s reduces the primary air and the air wash, but still allows secondary air to flow to the tubes.