Firepot stuck open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 3, 2007
MT
I just got my Quadra-Fire Santa Fe installed a week ago. It's been working great, until I pulled the cleaning rod out this morning and now the firepot is stuck wide open. Help!

Go inside the ash clean-out area and find the bolt on the pivot point of the ask door. Loosen it ever so slightly. If you loosen it too much it will let extra air into the burn pot.

If it keeps getting stuck I suggest you remove it totally and scrape it off with a screwdriver or maybe a wire wheel. I have found a few castiles with gunk buildup on the ash door causing it to get jammed up pretty bad.

If you don't want to mess with it, just losen it so you can close it and use the thing, then call the dealer.

What are you burning in the stove?

Yeah, take the ash drawer out and look in there with a flash light. I think the Santa Fe is similarly constructed to the Castile. It is a groan to get tools and hands in there but it can be done, I have done it twice now. The other option is to disconnect the cotter pin under there and then unbolt the burn pot from inside the firebox and take the whole thing out.

I'm burning Bear Mountain Premium pellets, recommended by the dealer. However, the last bag I put in had quite a bit of sawdust.

Depends on how loose you made it, like I said if its too loose it will suck extra air in. It is possible the factory got it too tight and you just fixed the problem.

The two I had problems with, no matter how loose I made it, the gunk kept building up and jamming the door. Once I took it off totally and scraped it down it was better than when brand new. I think they had something on them from the factory that was making the pellets stick and form clinkers on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.