Fireproof Hearth Rug?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Is there such a thing? Maybe something not hideous? This would be where a coal would not melt its way through the thing.
(We had a little incident.)

a wool rug soaked in borax is as close as you're going to get w/o having the rug made of asbestos...

Thanks. Do you think an ember would just sit on top of it and not burn through? I meant about the fiberglass.

have one, cause I don't have enough front clearance ;sick And I am not wanting to cut my carpet out and tile over the slab. Anyway, I use to have a semi circle one that was off white that we got on clearance at walmart. It now went to the farm as we got a larger one a few years ago at Christmas. It looks like an oriental rug, type. Its better than the off white one because the burns don't show like in the white one. The rug is like 2ft x 6ft or so, the local stove store has bunches of them for like $30-40ish? There not totally melt resistant cause that's what they basically do, but there better than anything else that your covering!!! Of course cement, tile, brick, or stone would be best. I have had huge red coals fall out while raking coals, ones that are like 1" and glowing red, had them sit there for like 30 seconds till I could get my glove on to move it or till I saw it. They kind of burn the stuff so you will smell it if you did not see it. Anyway after this time that it was on the rug all it did is melt the design top pattern off and made it black crispy, but it really does not stand out cause of the design of the rug. I have actually I think had a log roll onto it, and just pick it back up with my welders gloves I put on when I open the door each time.

Thanks. Do you think an ember would just sit on top of it and not burn through? I meant about the fiberglass.
See my above post but, yes. Like I said I have had sizeable glowing coals that have set on it for 10-30 seconds (been so long I really don't remember how long it was there)?

It's fireproof, not fire-resistant like wool or synthetic rugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.