firestop installation question ...clearances and insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

othello

Jan 30, 2011
usa
Hello.
I am installing a Metal-Fab 6TGWFSP 6" Wall Firestop. The wall studs in my home are 12" on center and the outer perimeter of the wall stop is about 13". I am going to move one stud to make room to safely slide the fire stop between the two studs. Does anyone have a recommendation on the safe distance of the outer fire stop ring to the wall studs? The stainless chimney pipe has a 1 3/4" space inside of the fire stop. Also wondering about insulation around the fire stop. Should I pack insulation around the outer perimeter of the fire stop or leave the air space empty? The manufacturer's installation instructions do not cover these areas. I am using single wall pipe inside.

Frame the opening 12 7/16" wide x 13" high for 6" pipe. I'm not sure about the official call on insulating the outside of the firestop sleeve. I probably would, using unfaced (no paper) fiberglass or kaowool.

Status
Not open for further replies.