Fireview Flue Temp vs Stove Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one thing no one has really addressed so far, you said:
RandyB said:
my question is, the pipe thermometer says that below around 260 is too low a temp for the exhaust going through the pipe, but the Fireview Cat is supposed to be really clean burning so if the pipe temps are to low is there still the strong risk of buildup
I think your stove has a smoke output in the region of about 3 grams per hour. Only a small part of that is going to be creosote and and an even smaller part if you are burning good quality seasoned hard wood. Lets say you are producing 1 gram of creosote per hour and the stove pipe is at freezing point, you still are only going to get a fraction of that 1 gram depositing inside the stove pipe. And that tiny amount is most probably going to be burned off when you engage the bypass after a reload.

Also most of the creosote that might get into the stove pipe is going to be released on the reload when the bypass is open and stove pipe is at its hottest, not after everything has stabilized and the cat is engaged.

3fordasho said:
madison said:
3fordasho said:
3fordasho said:
BeGreen said:
Thanks for the link 3fordasho. Which model Tel-Tru are you using? I like the Tel-Tru DM-014-750 surface thermometer. It is the first model I've seen with clear black on white markings and a glass cover. That is my kind of stove thermometer. It matches my trusty old Sandhill.

Tel-tru #4910 02 66 which translates to model GT225 2" dial, 1/8npt thread, 2 1/2" probe length, 200/1000F scale

Upon further review it appears I actually purchased a model GT200 (#1910 02 66) which has all the same specs, just a 1 3/4" face instead of the 2". I'm sure the 2" is a few bucks more ;-)

FYI, i spoke with the technical rep at Tel Tru, and they informed me that the GT series thermometers (and all of their units) could possibly fail over 800 degrees, specifically the steel probe would harden then crack.

I was curious if there are any long term users that could report on this thermometer's durability.

Thanks

I've only used mine for one season (although I did find out about these thermometers from another user on this forum) and no problems. I was aware that continuous use up to 800F is ok, with only intermittent use above 800f. With my stove and burning habits I really found no need to get much over 600F flue temps, I'll run at about 600F to char a new load, then with the cat engaged 200-275f is the normal operating range.

Thanks for the extended use report, the Tel Tru technician was worried that their probes were mainly designed for food processing and could not tolerate the high temps in a woodstove chimney. Price seemed comparable to the condar probe ....

Status
Not open for further replies.