Fireview in very small room ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet1 said:
Ravenvalor said:
Thanks, I am told that a soapstone will not produce that type of heat.

There are a few people who will tell you soapstone stoves are the next coming and can do no wrong. A soapstone stove is just like any other stove, they get hot. The only major difference is they take longer to get up to temp and they take longer to cool down with the added mass.
Also keep in mind the stone does not cover the entire stove, so even if you actually believe the stone doesn't get hot, the exposed metal areas certainly will!

And yes, I would consider knocking down at least one of those two walls, if not both (assuming they are not load bearing).

Not the next coming for sure, however, there definitely is a difference in the feel of the heat. I thought that was bunk too....until we put in the Fireview. This is after using many different stoves over our years of heating with wood.

Also, don't put too much faith into soapstone taking a long time to get up to temperature etc. It takes a little longer, but not a long time, at least ours doesn't. And yes, by the loading door, it does get hotter because of the cast. Son of a gun, there is a different feel by the cast than there is by the soapstone...

jpl1nh said:
One of the Beautiful things about the Woodstock Soapstones is that they don't feel hot from close by, just pleasantly warm. I agree with Dennis that you probably would be quite comfortable 2-3 feet from the side of the stove. It's much warmer directly in front of the glass but the soapstone sides are just ..nice! It would be good to see a floor plan of your house to see how likely it is for the stove to effectively get heat to all the parts of your home. In your climate, Be Green might be right about the Keystone or Palladian being a better choice, especially if the chances of you heating the far corners of the home are slim due to hallways and walls, etc. It is possible to run the Fireview at a very low temp though since it's a cat stove so it could definately work too. The dining room might be an option if there is easier acess to more open area that the stove could heat.

Thank you.

On the smaller stove, that is an option. However, the big problem with the smaller stove is you won't get as much heat and the burns are much shorter. So if you want some overnight fire that can be a problem. I've seen several who bought the smaller stoves only to wish they had purchased the larger one. Even the Fireview is not that big! Personally, I'd like to see Woodstock build an even larger stove for longer burns.

And here is another fellow telling how the heat is just pleasantly warm rather than hot from the soapstone.

I have to agree, there is a big difference between soapstones and most other types of stoves regarding radiant heat. Same thing with the Alderlea. I could easily sit in a chair 3 feet away from the Alderlea and just feel a gentle warmth.

Ravenator, check with a carpenter, the LR wall is most likely load bearing, but as noted it can be opened up with a stout carrying beam and maybe a central post. The post can be decorative or even a disguised with a central cabinet (maybe for the entertainment center) built around it. Think creatively and you could have a whole new living room. Small houses feel so much nicer and spacious to me with an open floor plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.