Fireview up and running, with pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
After a long stove saga that began with a too small (for my space) Jotul F100, a too large and out of place (for my home) Ideal Steel, has ended with the just right Fireview! Kind of a Goldilocks story of wood stoves! Thanks to the good people here for all the help along the way! Well, here’s the Fireview up and running for almost a week. Loving it!
2F89B447-A866-451D-9A82-A955B46DD658.jpeg B7AB2F18-CFCC-45FC-A476-AA092BC6A1E5.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks beautiful there, though I am a bit concerned about clearance to the mantel. According to the manual:

Be particularly careful to check clearances to a wood mantle, or a wood fireplace facade. You must maintain a 30” clearance to an unprotected wood mantle.

Yep, you need to fab a heat shield, and if the requirements are the same as the Keystone, that will reduce the needed clearance to 12".
But yeah, I had a Fv for a while and it's a sweet rig. >>

It looks beautiful there, though I am a bit concerned about clearance to the mantel. According to the manual:

Be particularly careful to check clearances to a wood mantle, or a wood fireplace facade. You must maintain a 30” clearance to an unprotected wood mantle.

Yep, you need to fab a heat shield, and if the requirements are the same as the Keystone, that will reduce the needed clearance to 12".
But yeah, I had a Fv for a while and it's a sweet rig. >>

Thanks! The stove actually sits in front of the mantel, not under it. I checked multiple times with the folks at Woodstock, and according to them I am good to go with clearances (and I had an inspection). I also have the rear heat shield, and the horizontal run to the T is double wall Selkirk with 6” clearance, so plenty of room there. That said, I also value the expertise here and would love any thoughts on this - the stove is currently cruising at 600 degrees F, and the stove room is at 76F. I just checked the mantel at a bunch of points with a temperature gun, and the hottest point I got was 139, but most spots closest to stove were closer to 130. Usually the stove runs a bit cooler (between 400 and 500 or so), and I’m not burning 24/7, mostly nights and weekends. Do you think this leaves any cause for concern? If so, I could put a heat shield on the mantel.

E3DF21D5-7498-4DA0-8FF0-EEF3E4EC72CF.jpeg 7247B068-870E-4BF5-BCDD-18183EFBDF26.jpeg

Last edited:
I also have the rear heat shield
Good move grabbing the heat shield. It reflects radiation back to the stove instead of the fireplace absorbing it, keeping the back of the stove hotter and pulling the heat off and into the room with the air movement up between the stove and shield.

Reactions: KennyK
I just checked the mantel at a bunch of points with a temperature gun, and the hottest point I got was 139, but most spots closest to stove were closer to 130.
If I'm not mistaken, I think clearances are not so much a requirement for day to day use, but in cases where an over fire or chimney fire are occurring.

If I'm not mistaken, I think clearances are not so much a requirement for day to day use, but in cases where an over fire or chimney fire are occurring.
Yeah, they are all established for the worst-case scenario, the stove left open with a full load of Hedge, while having a chimney fire. It makes sense to do it like that, and for us to follow those CTC requirements. If you pass out at the next party at your house, and one of your inebriated buddies attempts to re-load your stove, you might be glad you honored them. ;)

Reactions: Sawset
Thanks! The stove actually sits in front of the mantel, not under it. I checked multiple times with the folks at Woodstock, and according to them I am good to go with clearances (and I had an inspection). I also have the rear heat shield, and the horizontal run to the T is double wall Selkirk with 6” clearance, so plenty of room there. That said, I also value the expertise here and would love any thoughts on this - the stove is currently cruising at 600 degrees F, and the stove room is at 76F. I just checked the mantel at a bunch of points with a temperature gun, and the hottest point I got was 139, but most spots closest to stove were closer to 130. Usually the stove runs a bit cooler (between 400 and 500 or so), and I’m not burning 24/7, mostly nights and weekends. Do you think this leaves any cause for concern? If so, I could put a heat shield on the mantel.

View attachment 252663 View attachment 252665
I thought the camera might be compressing the distance in a frontal shot. Looks like you've done your diligence. 140º on the mantel is safe. Sit back and enjoy the warmth.

I thought the camera might be compressing the distance in a frontal shot. Looks like you've done your diligence. 140º on the mantel is safe. Sit back and enjoy the warmth.

Thanks! Been greatly enjoying it. Snowstorm in Beantown today, currently 31 degrees outside, 75 in the stove room, upper 60s in the neighboring rooms, stove cruising at 450 and mantel now under 105 at hottest point (that 139 earlier, was when I was pushing the stove to a bit over 600, which will rarely be the case). Winter in Boston just got a lot nicer!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Hi KennyK, nice looking install. Looks like the Fireview goes perfectly with the Victorian era fireplace surround. Looks like a great complement to that area.

Reactions: KennyK