Firewood flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the past I would have answered yellow flames without hesitation. But those clean looking blue flames I get in my stove have grown on me.

I like the look of an intense second combustion full of mighty blue flames keeping us warm. Most of time yellow/orange flames are also present anyway so I don't have to choose. I simply enjoy the light show :cool:

My flames are more blue I guess. Its all under 10% due to being trim ends and rejects. Burns hot but fast........but clean is the best part. My propane stove in the kitchen burns blue and its new, so maybe that matters?

Pine burns more yellow for me. Only during the last 1/3 of the active burn will I see blue and mostly deep orange. Think some of it has to do with particle size Soot is larger particles smoke a bit smaller. Wood gas is probably smaller yet. Most of the volatile saps burn off early.

Blue flames are hotter, 2300F and above. Yellow flames are below 2200F, as the temps drop more you get orange flames and then red flames are the lowest temp ranging as low as 1000F.

I use the stove for ambiance as well as heat, so...both! I enjoy the rolling secondary flames of blue and yellow.

No flames but the occasional roll of ghost flames as gasses ignite.