Pilot flame problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jake59

Feb 25, 2024
New York
I have an Empire direct vent heater (model DV-35-2SG) that I use to heat my garage. It had a weak pilot flame, just barely reaching the thermopile. I cleaned the orifice and pilot burner but it made no difference. I replaced the orifice, pilot tube,pilot burner and thermopile. Now the flame has too much yellow and doesn't warm the thermopile enough to keep the pilot solenoid open. Does anyone know if there is an air intake that needs to be cleaned on this pilot burner? Any other ideas what the problem might be?

I have an Empire direct vent heater (model DV-35-2SG) that I use to heat my garage. It had a weak pilot flame, just barely reaching the thermopile. I cleaned the orifice and pilot burner but it made no difference. I replaced the orifice, pilot tube,pilot burner and thermopile. Now the flame has too much yellow and doesn't warm the thermopile enough to keep the pilot solenoid open. Does anyone know if there is an air intake that needs to be cleaned on this pilot burner? Any other ideas what the problem might be?
How's the flame strength when operating? I had a weird issue in which I barley had any flame.... come to find out there was a kink on the gas line.

How's the flame strength when operating? I had a weird issue in which I barley had any flame.... come to find out there was a kink on the gas line.
I can't operate. The pilot won't stay lit. Was the kink in the pilot tube or the supply line coming to the heater?