Firewood Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pennyfan041

Nov 29, 2018
Raytown, MO
Hopefully I do this picture attachment correctly...anyway, I got some firewood from a local who splits and sells. It's a mixed bag, but I'm curious about this kind of wood. It's got a deep purple color, and I can't find a decent website to help me ID the wood around here. I live in Western Missouri. The photo shows a couple pieces next to a particularly white/yellow piece of wood to give it a little contrast. Any help identifying this would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image1 (11).jpeg
    image1 (11).jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 186
There is another forum on here for listing wood called the wood shed. That said looks like red oak to me. If you smell it does it smell like cat pee?

Ah, I didn't realize that. I'll go check that forum out. It does not smell like cat pee, and it doesn't look quite right up close to be red oak, unfortunately. At this point, I'm going through my mental list of trees I know are common around here and googling pictures, haha. I'm thinking it might possibly be black walnut, but I'm not 100% on that.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Western missouri, purple, and looking at the pic, the center split seems to show one sheared branch at the bottom left and one other branch at the top left... so a couple of branches within an ~16-18 inch space.

I'd almost suspect you have some cedar heart wood. Smell would give it away pretty easily... cross between a hamster cage and granny's hope chest, or if you have other logs with purple inside / white sap wood - another characteristic of cedar.

https://www.thelogfurniturestore.com/images/2011_Red_Cedar_Dining_Table_Detail.jpg

Black Walnut for sure. Burns okay but not my favorite. When it's done on flames, virtually no coals left. Leaves a fair amount of ash behind but near as bad as Maple. Kevin

Walnut would be my guess.

My guesses were also cedar or walnut. I can't tell from the photo.

Looks like cedar