firewood mosture meter were can i get a good one thats acurate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Found one here... ;lol
You did say accurate right?

Amazon product ASIN B00275F5O2
I have this one. It has good reviews but I cannot verify the accuracy. It's worked for me so far. I've tested 2 year seasoned ash and it was 12%. I've tested freshly cut and split ash and it was 30%. These numbers seem accurate to me. I wouldn't burn anything over 20% and I think this meter will get you close enough. Just remember that readings should be taken on a freshly split face.

Depends on how accurate you wish to be
Any of the meters on Amazon 20$ to 40$
is satisfactory for firewood. I am
a furniture maker and just replaced our 10
year-old meter with this
Amazon product ASIN B07K4R5QHGBut an 800$ meter is overkill for firewood

Most people are happy with the General Tool MMD4E meter

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
Most people are happy with the General Tool MMD4E meter

I have that one along with -THIS ONE-

The MMD4E consistently reads 3-4% lower than the other one. Seems like the MMD4E may be more accurate, seeing the other one still reads 20% MC on a fresh split which has been split/stacked/top covered for 5 years.

pinless units -you must pay attention to the depth scanned. Pin Units - most of the cheap pin units leave something to be desired in the pin mounting area. its all ways nice if one can re-calibrate unit, as we are not working with furniture type wood and a lot of them are calibrated for that type of material as a base. there are some dual units pin and pinless combined in one unit. like just about everything you get what you pay for somewhat.

Quick question regarding the MMD4E, couldn't you just drill a couple of small holes where you could stick the probes into rather than get out the axe or hatchet to split an already split piece that you've gotten to the size you like?

This is the cheapest one I've found locally. It uses button-cell batteries, which I don't really care for..

Quick question regarding the MMD4E, couldn't you just drill a couple of small holes where you could stick the probes into rather than get out the axe or hatchet to split an already split piece that you've gotten to the size you like?
Well, you could, but the result might not be much different than measuring on an unsplit face if the outer third of the split is dry but the inner two thirds is wet where the pins won't reach, even if drilled.

Well, you could, but the result might not be much different than measuring on an unsplit face if the outer third of the split is dry but the inner two thirds is wet where the pins won't reach, even if drilled.
There's a few threads about using a VOM to check (a sticky thread in the Wood Shed); Then you could use some longer "pins." But the holes would have to be big enough where you could reach the bottom and stick the points, without touching the sides of the drilled holes.

I've been happy with this one -
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGJDVFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have had it for 2 years now. It takes a single 9V battery and I'm still on the original battery.

For what it's worth - my buddy has a meter and in the cap it has a built-in tester. You insert the prongs into the 2 small holes and it should read 15.0%. We tested my friends and mine and they were both 15.0% or maybe 14.9% - that was a while back. All I know for sure is that it left no doubts that our meters were plenty good for what we were using them for.

I've been happy with this one -
That appears to be a clone of the General MMD4E, but cheaper.
The link doesn't work, but you can copy and paste it..

Nice Catch Mr. Stover!

Let's try that again: I've been happy with This One

I did take a look at the General MMD4E and I see that does have a calibration tester in the cap - that might be the one my buddy has.