Firewood newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood burner12

Nov 28, 2014
south jersey
questions on firewood. I live in south jersey and am in need of firewood. I called around a few places and all are sold out. I got ahold of one company that has some in stock but they say it's been seasoned for 6 months would that be sufficient to burn or and I crap out of luck.

The term "seasoned" has different meaning to everyone. This time of year it is almost impossible to find "seasoned" firewood. I would look into Eco bricks at your local TSC but don't neglect next winter or the winter after that. It is best to be 2-3 years ahead so you don't ever have to worry about dry firewood. Just my gut but the company you spoke probably thinks "seasoned" means the trees were cut down 6 mos ago and are laying in log form waiting to be cut and split to order. Or possibly even split 6 mos ago but not properly stacked in sun and wind. We've all been there. Stick around, read the forums and learn from us and we'll turn you into a "seasoned" firewood collector.

"Seasoned" has been so overused by the wood sellers that it isn't even worth asking anymore. You really should ask how long it has been cut and split. Either way 6 months is likely not long enough for the wood to be dry enough. Get a $20 moisture meter and check the face of a few splits before they unload. Then you know for SURE whether the wood is dry enough.

Edit: Clyde S. Dale beat me to it. What he said is spot on.

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
Ok thank you. I did go out a by a moisture meter last week. I also called around for the Eco bricks all out of stock. We just had the wood stove install in October and was given about a cord of 2 to 3 year old oak that has been cut and split from my coworker which burned great. Just looking to get some more wood to last me thru the winter. I do have about a cord of oak but it's still green so I'm starting to stock up but as of now I'll keep looking thanks guys

If you have some local firewood dealers maybe you can find some older wood leftover from a previous year. I know the couple of firewood yards that I drive past seem to have some wood in the back corners of the lot that has been there a while. I bet they don't want to mess with it because it is hard to get, so they describe the typical 'new' wood they're selling. If you are there in person maybe you'll get a different answer.

If it's soft maple 6 months should be fine as with other soft woods but the harder primo stuff will take longer. Size of splits is also a big factor. Would be tough to buy just soft wood from someone, would be a mix of everything.

Put the word "pallets" in the search box and several threads will come up describing the sourcing and burning of pallets. Some of them have some nice dry oak.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Given the lateness of the season and the paucity of your supply, I would also counsel you to read up on "burning pine" here and go get a whole bunch of it ASAP so you are't in the same spot again next winter.

Softwoods are a great friend to the new burner, and a comfortable old friend to the seasoned wood burner with a little extra room.

Just wanted to show you a pic of what I got last night . So happy I can start burning again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Fred Wright
Softwoods are a great friend to the new burner, and a comfortable old friend to the seasoned wood burner with a little extra room.

Well said. Well said.

Just wanted to show you a pic of what I got last night . So happy I can start burning again.

Well done. Very hard to find firewood of that quality and moisture content this time of year from a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.