Firewood obsessives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yuppers..Old Forge..Snowmobiling capital of NYS

ThePhotoHound,

I hope that Eric doesn't mind thread drift. At any rate, in the winter it really isn't that much more work keeping two stoves going than it is just one. Both my wife and I share the responsibility of putting in the logs, cleaning out the ashes and such. Where the extra work comes in is now when I am trying to get enough wood stacked up to feed the stoves in the winter.

George

Just cut up another pickup load this morning. I am splitting all by hand and have 5-8 cords so far. I want 5+ years in storage so I have a ways to go. Everything I have so far is free but that source may not last much longer. So I'm constantly on the lookout for wood. Missed a Craigs list for 3 free cords of fir yesterday. Bummer. There is a source of oak, 6" to 8" trunks for $50 a cord - u cut and haul. Still sounds too expensive so I'll keep looking. If I were to have 40+ cords people would think I was excessive - and I'd think I was smart! Plus, I'm saving lots on gym fees :coolsmile:

ThePhotoHound said:
George -

How do you keep 2 stoves going all the time? How much effort is that as compared to one?
I'm thinking twice as much ;-P

bcnu said:
Just cut up another pickup load this morning. I am splitting all by hand and have 5-8 cords so far. I want 5+ years in storage so I have a ways to go. Everything I have so far is free but that source may not last much longer. So I'm constantly on the lookout for wood. Missed a Craigs list for 3 free cords of fir yesterday. Bummer. There is a source of oak, 6" to 8" trunks for $50 a cord - u cut and haul. Still sounds too expensive so I'll keep looking. If I were to have 40+ cords people would think I was excessive - and I'd think I was smart! Plus, I'm saving lots on gym fees :coolsmile:
You know the problem is that as much as we all understand this passion, lets change the phrase from obsession to a more PR friendly term "passion", uhhh.. hardly anyone else will ever get it. At least we have each other to lean on for moral support!!

bcnu said:
If I were to have 40+ cords people would think I was excessive - and I'd think I was smart! Plus, I'm saving lots on gym fees :coolsmile:

The guys who call me a wood moron are the same ones who generally run out of firewood in the middle of February, then go around whining that they're cold. So I'm wondering who the real moron is. To put it another way, "better greedy than needy."

jpl1nh said:
ThePhotoHound said:
George -

How do you keep 2 stoves going all the time? How much effort is that as compared to one?

Yep twice the work. And morning start-ups with two on different floors is a PITA.

BrotherBart said:
jpl1nh said:
ThePhotoHound said:
George -

Yep twice the work. And morning start-ups with two on different floors is a PITA.

What morning start-ups? I throw a few logs in each stove on the hot coal bed, give them some air, go make coffee, and then sit by the nice fire and sip my morning coffee. I really don't think it is twice the work - but that's me. :)

George

Eric Johnson said:
My dad is 75 and still cuts all his own firewood from standing trees on his property. So, you've got a few decades left in you, detmurds.

However, my goal is still to have 4 years' worth stacked up by the end of the summer, and add enough each year to make up for what we burn. Could get hurt--whatever. Plus, when the time comes to sell this house, I won't need lemon squares to sweeten the deal. How's four years' worth of free heat and hot water sound?

I would say at the same time,..cutting up firewood adds years to one's life,...like your fathers'! That is keeping active for sure! My grandfather just turned one hundred years old in May (2007) and has done a garden until three years ago! I am doing both a garden and making wood piles! Life is just great.

Yes,...that will surely sweeten the deal if need be!

On a side note, I stacked another pretty cord of wood today! I love this stuff!

Reminds me of the old ditty - "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood". Hope I'm able to keep chucking wood onto my pile when in my 90's.

Eric Johnson said:
bcnu said:
If I were to have 40+ cords people would think I was excessive - and I'd think I was smart! Plus, I'm saving lots on gym fees :coolsmile:

The guys who call me a wood moron are the same ones who generally run out of firewood in the middle of February, then go around whining that they're cold. So I'm wondering who the real moron is. To put it another way, "better greedy than needy."

I'm so with you Eric! People look at my stack and think I'm obsessed. I have about 8 cords all split and ready for this year, and about another 1/2 cord of rounds hanging around. I'm splitting it very slowly these days. I split 3 rounds of maple that are like 30" diameter and I sure was sweating today. One big glass of iced tea... an hour in the pool with my 8 year old son... Now that is a fine way to spend an afternoon.

Personally with 8 cords+, I feel like I'm a bit behind. I think I gotta get Kevin over to go after a big stand of Elms just down the road from me... what do ya say Kevin?

Status
Not open for further replies.