Firing the boiler with wood heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I paid a visit to the sugar bush a couple days ago. The man who owns it is a friend that I've known for about 55 years. This fellow has also had much experience with wood heat....but has not learned a whole lot!

The first thing I noticed was when he got wood to put in the fire...it was all green wood. There was oak, sycamore and maple. Yes, all green; fresh cut. I got him to talking and he really cusses the oak. Why? Well, he really doesn't like it because it goes bad so fast. When I commented that it is only on the outer surface that it goes punky and the wood is still really good he balked. He then reached in the wood bin and pulled out some he had just cut to show me. It was from a top that had laid for a whole year! and he just cut up the top. "See how it is turning to punk already?" he asked. Um, it was not turning to punk at all! It was all solid wood. However, I like this guy and we've known each other for years, but I also learned a long time ago that you can not teach him a thing, so I quit trying.

On the other hand, I offered him some dry wood to fire the boiler and he said he'll be over with his truck to get some. Looks like our wood supply will shrink a bit more.

Also I heard from rdust and he seems to be happy with the wood he picked up. That pleased me a lot.

Maybe there will be a nice payback with some fresh maple syrup!

Backwoods Savage said:
Also I heard from rdust and he seems to be happy with the wood he picked up. That pleased me a lot.

Yep, it's burning great! I never like a long winter but after getting my hands on some well seasoned wood I find a part of me wanting cold weather for a little longer. :lol: Oh well, that just means I'll have some great wood to start out next season.

Uper said:

Yup. I brought some home too. Hey, have you ever tried pure maple syrup on vanilla ice cream? Yummy!

That is always good to hear. Too bad we couldn't have put more on that trailer and then loaded the pickup too rdust! lol Yes, I would have done that.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is always good to hear. Too bad we couldn't have put more on that trailer and then loaded the pickup too rdust! lol Yes, I would have done that.

You tried to do that! :lol: If I ever need some again I'll make sure I borrow my brothers F-250 or GMC 2500!

Backwoods Savage said:
Uper said:

Yup. I brought some home too. Hey, have you ever tried pure maple syrup on vanilla ice cream? Yummy!

Yum, love Maple syrup, use to make my own when I lived in UP MI, cant stand anything else on my waffles or flapjacks.

Todd, I didn't know you were a Yooper. Where did you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.